7 New Updos to Try on Your Clients
Have you fallen in an updo rut? Find yourself making the same twists, turns and coifs? Put the teasing comb down, it’s time for an updo intervention. To help, we looked at the upstyles from the 2012 Met Gala, picked out the best and have all the how-tos to reignite your updo creativity. Read on, refuel and recharge!
Emma Stone’s Tousled Updo
When creating Emma Stone’s look, stylist Mara Roszak knew she was working with a young, vivacious starlet wearing a young, vivacious gown—so the hair had to match perfectly. Describing the look as “doll-like,” Mara kept her look feminine yet playful with a flirtatious and modern, loose bun and side-swept bangs.
The pro: Mara Roszak
1. Apply Matrix Total Results Amplify Wonder Boost Root Lifter evenly throughout damp hair volume.
2. Blow-dry the hair with a medium-sized bore bristle brush then apply Matrix Design Pulse Mega Dust to the roots for extra texture, volume and hold.
3. Gather hair at the top of the head in a ponytail. Secure it with an elastic, allowing the front and side pieces around the hairline to loosely fall out for a wispy, feminine look.
4. With a soft brush or comb, gently tease the roots of the ponytail for more volume.
5. Loosely pin the hair into an undone bun shape.
6. Gently sweep bangs across the forehead, securing them to the side with a hair accessory.
7. Finish with Matrix Total Results Amplify Hairspray and Matrix Biolage colorcarethérapie Shine Shake Spray.
Marion Cotillard's Edgy Twist
While she normally wears soft, romantic looks, Marion Cotillard’s style went to new territory at the Met Gala. Inspired by the sci-fi thriller Blade Runner, her French twist is modernized with the help of deconstructed texture and short bangs.
The pro: Moroccanoil Global Brand Ambassador Robert Vetica
1. Blow-dry hair until smooth. Use a large round brush for natural volume.
2. Pull all hair back into a loose French twist
3. With your fingers, scrunch and deconstruct the texture of the twist and pin the effect in place
4. Spray with Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray Strong on the entire style for natural-looking hold.
Elizabeth Banks Sky-High Chignon
Big is in this year. Instead of the perfectly pristine chignon, take a note from celebrity stylist Thomas Dunkin and go for broke with a volume that can’t possible go unnoticed, like Elizabeth Banks’ voluminous updo.
The pro: Thomas Dunkin for Sebastian Professional
1. Apply a generous amount of Sebastian Professional Volupt Spray to the roots of the hair and a liberal amount of Sebastian Professional Potion 9 to the lengths of the hair.
2. Blow-dry the hair with a round brush and put each section into pin curls. Once the entire head is pinned, leave it to cool.
3. Once cooled, remove the pins and brush fingers through the hair to loosen the waves.
4. Use fingers to pull the hair back, leaving as much volume as possible, and pull it into a ponytail before twisting it into a nice, clean chignon. For a touch of red carpet glamour, secure the chignon with a brooch.
5. For added shine and a light hold, spritz the finished look with Sebastian Professional Trilliant.
Uma Thurman's Half-Up Style
With a baby on the way, Ms. Thurman is positively glowing. To accompany her natural glow and her gorgeous lavender gown, celebrity stylist David Babaii created a half-updo look. According to David, IT&LY HAIRFASHION's Purity Design Line is great to use on pregnant clients as it uses only the purest forms of botanicals—so your clients can get styled, safely.
The pro: celebrity stylist David Babaii
1. Shampoo and condition with IT&LY Pure Shampoo and Conditioner.
2. Apply a small amount of IT&LY Pure Water Drops to naturally hydrate and add shine to the hair.
3. Next, apply IT&LY Pure Style Mousse Strong for hold and volume, paying more attention to the roots and ends.
4. After blow drying with a large round brush at the root area for lift, switch to a large paddle brush to smooth the rest of the hair.
5. When dry, make a deep side part and set the hair with White Sands Velcro Strips (instead of conventional hot rollers), spraying each section with IT&LY Pure Texture.
6. When the hair has set, remove the Velcro Strips and gently brush the hair, taking in the sides and top to create a half-up/half-down look.
7. Secure with a decorative clip and mist with finishing spray.
Lily Collins' Braided Updo
Actress Lily Collins is a rising star both on screen and in terms of style: this updo is the proof! She paired a flowly, lace Valentino gown with a soft and romantic braided updo. It’s age-appropriate, on-trend and, might we add, totally chic.
The pro: Thomas Dunkin for Sebastian Professional
1. Apply Sebastian Professional Thickefy Foam to the lengths of damp hair and spray Sebastian Professional Volupt Spray to the roots.
2. Blow-dry the hair straight using a large round brush, creating as much volume and root lift as possible.
3. Once dry, create two braids, one on each side of the forehead, braiding towards the back of the head. Make sure the braids are loose as this will maintain the soft volume needed for this look.
4. Use fingers to gently backcomb the remaining unbraided section for extra lift through the top and added texture.
5. Twisted the three sections of hair together and pin them into a very loose chignon.
6. Finish with a light spritz of Sebastian Professional Shaper Fierce.
Mary Kate Olsen Romantic Updo
Messy updos are a major do this year, and Mary Kate Olsen’s look is a great example. Celebrity stylist Charley Brown gave Mary Kate a feather-light, romantic updo; we love how the extra pieces give the look wind-swept, dramatic appeal. “With the complex combination of strong tailoring and romantic drapery of Mary Kate’s custom gown, her hair had to have the same complexity and impact that combined angelic romance with strength and simplicity,” Charley says.
The pro: celebrity stylist Charley Brown
1. Start by washing the hair with Wella Professionals Brilliance Shampoo and Wella Professionals Enrich Treatment Mask to restore a healthy look to the hair
2. Coat wet hair with Wella Professionals Stay Brilliant Color Protecting Lotion, then blow-dry using a diffuser for maximum texture
3. Once the hair is dry, separate the hair into four equal triangle-shaped sections
4. Mix Wella Professionals Create Character Texturizing Spray with Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz Beach Texture Hairspray in palms and separately pat down each section
5. Shake out each section for maximum volume before crossing all sections to the top point, twisting and folding all of the hair into a knotted bun secured with hair pins
6. Rub the silhouette of the hairline to bring out the baby hairs and intentional flyaway's to give an essence of simple romance
7. Lastly, spray a halo of Wella Professionals Stay Firm Finishing Spray to keep all those soft hairs and loose textures in place.
Alexa Chung's '60s 'Do
Alexa Chung is one of the style icons of our generation, and her ’60s-inspired hair look proves it. Wearing a 1960’s-inspired Marc Jacobs paneled leather dress, Sebastian Professional stylist Diego Da Silva wanted to enhance the ’60s vibe with a shorter haired, rock n’ roll Brigitte Bardot style.
The pro: Sebastian Professional stylist Diego Da Silva.
1. Wash hair with Sebastian Professional Light Shampoo and Conditioner for lightweight conditioning and enhanced softness.
2. Apply Sebastian Professional Texturizer to the roots of damp hair for added lift and use a round brush to blow-dry.
3. With a fine tooth comb, backcomb the roots and then use a brush to soften the appearance.
4. Loosely pull the hair back into a half ponytail leaving the face-framing fringe flowing in front, and secure with bobby pins.
5. Spritz Sebastian Professional Re-Shaper for lasting hold.
TELL US: What's your favorite updo to create?
Subscribe to behindthechair.com On Paper and receive a FREE T-shirt! SUBSCRIBE NOW!