How-To: French Boudoir Braid
Imagine being tasked with creating a hairstyle fitting for the launch of a global icon’s signature line. With the debut of Britney Spears’s sleepwear line, The Intimate Britney Spears, during New York Fashion Week, lead artist Albert Luiz for BioSilk Haircare had to do just that. Challenged with creating a look as sexy as the pieces in Britney’s collection, Albert set out to craft a sensual, feminine look with elements of vintage romance. The result? A seriously sexy updo reminiscent of 1920s Paris. Here’s how he did it.
1. Prepare the hair with BioSilk Silk Therapy Dry Clean Shampoo and BioSilk Volumizing Therapy Texturizing Powder to have that day-after-shampoo feel.
2. Section a bang area away to be used during the final steps.
3. Starting at the nape, French braid up the back until you reach the top of the head.
4. Braid the remaining tail into a 3-strand braid, and clip to the side.
5. Taking the CHI Turbo Nylon Brush, release the bang area and blow-dry the top fringe area smooth with the CHI TOUCH Touchscreen Blow Dryer. Spray the section lightly with BioSilk Natural Hold Hairspray.
6. To begin forming a French boudoir type bang, pull the fringe area straight back, pin it flat and then backcomb using a surface backcombing technique underneath. Next, smooth the top, pull it forward a bit over the forehead and then make a coil on the side. Secure with hidden pins.
7. Use a mesh bun maker and secure upright at the top of the head to serve as the base for the top knot.
8. Wrap and bring forward the remaining braided tail around the tufting. Use your fingers to pull the strands, spreading it over to cover. Secure with hidden pins.
9. Finish with two flowers as followed by BioSilk Natural Hold Finishing Spray.
NYFW Trend: Retro-Inspired Hair
Eight Fashion Week Hair Hacks
BTC's Early Faves from NYFW '15