Animal print cutout one-piece? Check. Retro, brow bar sunglasses? Check. All that’s missing to complete her summer '16 look? A sun-kissed, summer-ready 'do. Need a little inspiration? Check out this melty sombré by Erycka Ferreti (@eryckaferreti) and perfect haircut and beachy waves by Erik Ryan Harris (@erikrharris), both stylists at Ramirez | Tran Salon in Beverly Hills, Calif. After a whopping 10-hour color correction, they successfully took their client from uneven and brassy to bronde beach goddess!
Want to be featured? Tag your pics to #behindthechair!
“This color correction was achieved using different techniques such as balayage, babylights and a base breaker to soften out the disconnection of the regrowth,” says Erycka. “We also had to neutralize the incorrect tones for a blended look and add pops of lighter pieces on the ends, all without compromising the health of the hair.”
Here’s how they did it.
Formula A (base correction): Redken Blonde Idol Base Breaker Cool
Formula B (base correction): Redken Shades EQ in cream + 6-volume developer
Formula C (highlights): Redken Blonde Dimensions + 10-volume developer + 1/8 oz. Olaplex No.1
Formula D (highlights): Schwarzkopf Professional IGORA VARIO BLOND + 40-volume developer + 1/8 oz. Olaplex No.1
Formula E (gloss) (all Redken Shades EQ):
Root: equal parts 6N + 6NB
Midlengths: equal parts 7N + 6GB
All over: equal parts 8N + 7GB + 1 cap 8C
1. Apply Formula A to the roots, and process for 10 minutes. Then apply Formula B to the roots and process for 20 minutes.
2. Apply Formula C using foils in clean, paper-thin sections (babylights technique), applying in a fine weave around the perimeter of the head. Balayage the ends between the foils using Formula D to create the graduated, melted effect of depth at the roots and lightness at the ends.
Pro Tip: Erycka loves IGORA VARIO BLOND for balayage because its blue base helps cut through any unwanted warmth.
3. Apply Olaplex No.2 from roots to ends, and process under heat for 20 minutes.
4. Shampoo (don’t condition) the hair. Part down the middle, and apply the root gloss, processing for 7 minutes at the root, combing through and rinsing.
5. Apply the hairline gloss and process for 4 minutes. Rinse and shampoo.
6. Apply midlengths gloss from roots to midlengths, process for 7 minutes and rinse.
7. Apply the all over gloss, and process for 10 minutes. Shampoo and condition.
8. To style, keep your iron on high, and move fast. “I prefer to keep all the waves inconsistent, and I try to challenge myself with each style and always do something slightly different while maintaining a branded look,” says Erik. “Changing my curl pattern or breaking and pulling the curls as I'm curling are fun ways to add a unique touch to each style.”
Total process time: 10 hours
How-To: Dimensional Vanilla Blonde