How-To: Textured Magenta Bob
Remember this high contrast, A-line bob from stylist Carolynn Judd (@styled_by_carolynn)? With more than 15,000 likes, it was one of the most popular color formulas on behindthechair.com in 2016. And now in 2017, Carolynn’s put a new spin on the now-famous look—with pops of magenta and a slightly shorter, textured cut. “I always make sure the color is wearable,” says Carolynn, “whether it’s baby pink, purple or, in this case, magenta. Unicorn colors don’t always have to be dramatic.”
Want to be featured? Tag #behindthechair on Instagram!
Another thing that makes this cut and color so notable? Carolynn’s client dramatically changes her hair every five weeks(!) but you’d never know it. Here’s how she keeps her hair healthy, beautiful and totally on-trend.
Formula A: Schwarzkopf Professional IGORA VARIO BLOND + 20-volume developer
Formula B: Schwarzkopf IGORA ROYAL 1 oz. 2-00 + ¾ oz. 4-99 + 10-volume developer
Formula C: Joico Vero K-PAK Color Intensity 2 oz. Magenta + 1 dot Amethyst Purple + ½ oz. Olaplex No.1
1. Hand-paint Formula A where you would like the magenta to be the most dramatic. “Even if the client already has a light balayage, I do a quick hand-paint to give the end color a beautiful, multi-tonal look,” says Carolynn. Process until the hair reaches a Level 9-10. Rinse, shampoo and dry.
2. Apply Formula B to the roots.
3. Apply Formula C to all the remaining hair. Blend Formula C with Formula B to ensure a seamless progression of color. Process for 35 minutes.
4. Rinse and apply Olaplex No.2. Process for 10 mins.
5. Rinse with cold water. Then apply Kevin Murphy’s RE.STORE Repairing Cleansing Treatment.
1. Section the hair, and starting in the nape, cut an angled bob with a Feather razor.
2. Continue to cut the angled bob with as little or as much graduation as the client prefers.
3. When the outer shape is complete, blow-dry the hair using ANTI.GRAVITY Oil Free Volumiser by Kevin.Murphy.
4. Finish by shaping and texturizing the hair using a shear shattering technique (Carolynn uses an elevated, point-cutting method inspired by Anh Co Tran (@anhcotran). “It’s like layering the hair without the actual layers,” notes Carolynn.
Using the ghd Classic 1-inch Styler, take 2- to 3-inch sections, and curl away from the face, leaving 1 inch of the ends out. After the curls have cooled (this is very important, says Carolynn) spray hair with Kevin.Murphy DOO.OVER while shaking out the curls. Finish with Kevin.Murphy SHIMMER.SHINE.
Total process time: 2½ hours
How-To: Rooty Blonde Balayage
How-To: High-Contrast, A-Line Bob