How-To: Jessica Biel's Minimalist 'Do
It seems minimalism is having a moment in the beauty industry as of late. Following Alicia Keys' decision to embrace the no-makeup life, stars have been embracing simple and effortless styles on the red carpet. Take Jessica Biel, the queen of effortless, for example at the premiere for her latest film "Book of Love." Her stylist, Giannandrea, who also handles the tresses of celebs like Jennifer Garner and Gwyneth Paltrow, says he was inspired by '90s fashion minimalist for this look. Get the how-to!
1. Wash the hair using ECRU New York Sea Clean Shampoo. Then, spray ECRU Volumizing Silk Mist to the crown and length of the hair only, avoiding the top front section.
2. Create a 3-inch long middle part and gently brush the hair to the sides while drying it downward with a flat, small paddle brush. "Make sure (the brush) stays flat and close to the scalp, all the way to the ears. No volume whatsoever in the whole front," notes Giannandrea.
3. Clip the hair in place to maintain the flat shape, then move to the crown area. Using a medium-sized boar bristle natural round brush, take a 2-inch wide section, wrap the section around the brush and blow-dry on a hot heat setting and with a slow air flow.
4. Release and spray the section with ECRU Sunlight Styling Spray. Wrap the section around two fingers in a wide pin curl type, then clip the section firm and close to the scalp.
5. Continue Steps 3 and 4 all around the head, about 8 to 10 sections. Let the hair set for 20 minutes or use a hair dryer diffuser to dry heat the hair. If you use a diffuser, let the hair set for 10 minutes and cool down for 5 minutes.
6. Release the pin curls gently and, using a fan brush, brush the hair downward, combining it with the middle part section.
7. Next, gently pass the Aria Infrared Flat Iron around the back, on the sides 3 inches from the scalp and 3 inches from the ends only. "Do not pass the iron in the front near the face. Keep the soft waves that were created by the pin curls," advises Giannandrea.
8. Gently brush once more around the head, then use ECRU Silk Texturizing Balm in the middle part only to enhance the shine. Finalize with a light hold hairspray. "Make sure that the front part stays flat from hair line down to the ears and from the top crown down. The remaining hair has to maintain a flowing soft volume," shares Giannandrea.
Jessica Biel's Urban Boho Chic Style