Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Upset client, need advice
Posted By:
Posted By:jessrenee11 on: 6/26/2008 8:07:39 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Upset client, need advice
jessrenee11

!!!!Upset client, need advice!!!!
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2008 8:07:42 PM

So one of my stylist did a highlight on a client who wanted to be a level 10, ok so no big deal. After she starts to process she freaks out at says she doesn't want to be that light and wants to stay at a level 8 or so. This client is also a hair dresser. So at this point she is pulled to and orangey yellow stage. My stylist then recammonds a toner and the girl refuses to let her pick the toner. My stylist recommend an ash with violet and the girl freaks and refuses to let her put it on. and then picks a mocha color. My stylist told her that it will have red in it and won't cancel out the orangey color. The girl then makes her mix up want she wants and foils out her own pieces that she wants  with a different toner. My stylist complies, puts the toner on, even thought it is still orangey and the girl leaves happy and gives her a $20 tip. The client then comes back and says that she wants her money back cause her hair is still orange. I am not in the salon(as is my day off) and stylist can not refund services only I can. The client then yells at me on the phone after I repeatly told her what I could do, which was talk to her in the morning because that is when I will be there and or she can call my corprate office, but That she could not get her money back unless I am there.

So here is where I am at. I honestly don't think that I should give her her money back, only because she refused what the stylist recommend to her and picked what she wanted after my stylist told her it wouldn't work. Or am I completely off base and just refund her her money back . But what kills me iis that the client used to work for the same company as I do , so she should know the rules about refunds......what are your thoughts?

russnyc
Platinum Member

Refund
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 6:53:39 AM
This kind of client has the ability to damage your salon's reputation using Citysearch, Yelp, and other internet resources. Completely refund her money, then ask once more if she would like one more glaze application (aquamarine base tone) to cancel out the orange.

There were so many mistakes made by the hairdresser in this situation because she should've stopped everything or clearly spoken to the client before taking off the foils at orange.

I had a client hungover and ready to fall out of the chair once from the heat, and REFUSED to take out the foils until they were done!

Chalk it up as experience, if this stylist is a junior stylist, shut off all ability to book haircolor when you are not in the salon or offer to give them the same schedule you do so that this never happens again.

popgyrl
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 9:16:10 AM

I have had clients pull this one before.

Only I won't let it get that far.

In this situation I have said to the client "We can pull the foils out now before they do anything. I will blowdry your hair and you can GO. No Charge. OR, you can let me do your hair."

I've never had anybody leave. Plus, they always behave once they know you aren't having it.

Since this situation went past that point, I would agree with russ.  Make nice. Refund her money, then put her on your DO NOT BOOK list!

gd
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 5:09:38 PM
There is no way I would refund her money. The stylist did what she was asked to do. First, even if you refund her money, she will still bad mouth the salon. I agree, the stylist was wrong for not taking control. But, when this "stylist client" took control of the service, the results are her problem. I have had this situation in my salon when a client brings in their own color formula from a line we do not use. I explain to the client that we will not guarentee the results.

Jack the Clipper

Goodness!
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2008 5:26:13 PM

At times I am SO happy I don't live in the US! You people drag each other to court for anything! :-)

Answering from a Euro perspectivge, I ask; what's the problem? The client f***ed it up, and she was a hair dresser herself. She had what was coming to her.

I realize though it may not be this easy for you and I totally feel with your employee who got stuck with her, but.... seriously? What an ***hole client! Totally do not book her ever again, and make sure nobody else does either. Why wasn't she on her own salon??

Humberto
Bronze Member

Never refund money
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 4:07:45 PM
The client is paying for my time, so regardless of the results I get paid.  I make that clear with new clients, especially if they seem unsure of what they are wanting.   Some clients make it a habit of going from salon to salon and by making a scene they never pay for services.