Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > should i stay or should i go ?
Posted By:
Posted By:colorexic on: 7/11/2008 12:05:41 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: should i stay or should i go ?
colorexic

Posted: Friday, July 11, 2008 12:05:41 AM

russnyc
Platinum Member

Clearly defined
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 12:51:59 PM
Hi

You made several mistakes upon taking this job.

1. Your manager, no matter how much of a friend, is still a manager. I would venture to say she will always choose her job over your friendship. It IS possible to have camaraderie yet still have a clearly defined relationship as boss and employee. You need to realize this as you further your career and also not to take things personally in a professional realm or within your career. I've lost plenty of so called friends after moving on towards higher accomplishments, truly ask yourself what is more important in this case.

2. Your role within your job isn't clearly defined, and therefore you aren't in a professional atmosphere. You should have been told up front exactly WHEN, HOW and how FREQUENT the classes would be. My salon mandates a class every WEEK. This type of training is very rigorous and not for everyone. You must have a model for every class, and it quickly turns into a 12 hour day...

3. While it is fine to help out team members, your role within the salon needs to be defined so that you can be held reponsible if something goes wrong, or even praised properly because it wasn't your fault, such as money missing from a cash drawer with more than one set of hands in it. You can't GROW inside a job with no boundaries and smart management respects this and takes the time to develop the structure for your growth.

There is NO GOOD WAY to leave a job... The very toughest thing is to part a friendship once you've left a salon, just try to do it as gracefully and tactfully as possible