Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Anyone, Please help!!! Don't know what to do.
Posted By:
Posted By:blkkatzfri13 on: 8/3/2008 5:26:00 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Anyone, Please help!!! Don't know what to do.
blkkatzfri13

Anyone with wisdom please help!!!
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 5:26:01 PM

blkkatzfri13

update
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 10:56:35 PM

Okay, I'm fine on the job part after talking to my boss she just worries I'm not going to be able to keep up while I'm doing chemo. I assured her I would do my best and that this wouldn't keep me down.

My problem now is the training I'm supposed to be getting I don't feel I'm getting everything promised to me. My trainer tries but with her schedule it's hard for her. I asked to be move onto the floor sooner, not because of what I'm not getting out of the training, but because I'm going to lose my disability and need to make up the money up that I'll be losing. When I was hired on the program was new to them and when I asked how long it was they said they would get back to me. It was 3 or 4 weeks into the job until I found out the training was just short by a few weeks of a year. I did the math and at the rate per hour I was getting, my disability would of ended about the time I went onto the floor, so all was okay. What I didn't add into the math was tips on credit cards, checks and when they ask me to stay longer witch is now cutting my disability off sooner than I wanted. Having my disability pays for my Insurance's for the Doctor's and medications, losing it I have to pay for it and really wont be able to do this at the hourly rate. I brought it up to my boss and the owner they talked and said they told me how long the term was and it was "well to be blunt" my problem. Of course the decision to keep me on track was sent to me by e-mail so I don't know how it was said, just they couldn't help me. If I stay I wont have insurance coverage for 3 months and if I go I would of been there just shy of a year and in that time I've not picked up my shears at all and would lose out on that part of my training. I really don't want to go it's a good salon but they just never seem to want to work with some of the stylist here either. Anyone have a way I can convince them I'm worth moving onto the floor early? The one thing I already tried was, I told them if I slowed down my hours just a bit and we skipped the parts we know I'm already good on we could take off a few weeks and the time wouldn't be as long and I could pick back up on my insurance faster, they said "no". I don't know what to do so if anyone can help me I would be so grateful.

as always thanks to any and all that can help with a kind word or two.

russnyc
Platinum Member

Your health comes first...
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 6:49:27 PM
Hi

You simply can't insist your going on the floor coincide with your disability ending, this is sort of your fault for assuming 4 weeks into a new job that things would click so well over a year's time.

Ask for 1 day in the future that you can showcase your skills, and arrange models for the entire day. I did this when they wanted to add several months onto my training. Have your educator grade each and every model that day.

As far as your health and your commitment to the salon, try to work with other staff so that you can take a day off without incident-

I should say at this point they should've hired a replacement for you if you are going on the floor. Perhaps you could convince them to hire a part time to full time employee that would be up for this.

Finally, your health ALWAYS comes first. If you feel like a salmon constantly fighting upstream with your management, perhaps you should consider working in another salon!

blkkatzfri13

Thank you, russnyc!
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 11:02:31 PM

I don't know if I explained myself very well about what was going on but for the most part you have a lot of wisdom on what I did get across.

They told me today there would be no way I could excel onto the floor, because I was told how long the training was for. I guess it didn't matter that they told me 3 to 4 weeks into it. Really it was my fault for not demanding all the info before I started. I guess I wouldn't feel so bad about it if I was getting the training I was promised. Also it wouldn't bother me if they wouldn't of brought in a new hire that just got her license and put her right onto the floor. When I asked about it I was told she had better credentials than I. So what that says to me is my school was sub par, but I thought we all learned from the same two books. 

Well, I'm trying one more thing with the disability office. Being that I changed my medications starting back on chemo in pill form. If that doesn't work out then I guess I need to look at whats important to me. Stay or go!!

It was just so hard getting on with this salon and all the stylist make darn good money. I can't tell you how many salons I interviewed for. Many where happy to talk to me tell me about the salon but I never heard back from them. Oh crap I'm a broken record, darn if I do, darned if I don't!

Thank you again for trying to help me, I've found your information to be very insightful where ever you had input.

blkkatzfri13

it's over, thanks russnyc
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:49:47 PM

I left the Salon yesterday and it was the most scary but freeing thing I've had to do lately. I just didn't feel like I was making any headway with the girls that worked with me. It seemed that they where more willing to befriend a girl that came in and lied to obtain a position higher than most of there's, than me, that was struggling as an assistant. No matter how nice I was to them the best they could do for me was shallow conversation. I know it sounds like I'm comparing myself to this other girl, however; when she came in there was a lot of upset people and yet they took her in faster into the group then me. I knew I messed up a few time but nothing I thought was that bad now I know it wasn't me it was them, I feel better knowing that. I hope I can find a place out there for me it was just so hard to find that one and I'm out a job before I found one. Still I'm happy that I'm gone and I was able to tell my trainer all the reasons I left. The one thing that took me over the edge was one morning I walked past the owner and said good morning and she just walked past me into the break room where she greeted all the girls, I felt like a ghost around there. I guess the sad thing is I admired all of them and they only tolerated me, so I felt!

Well now I'm done and onto the next chapter of my life scary but freeing. Thanks for helping me russnyc our the only one that seemed to care enough to help.