Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > I need ADVICE< PLEASE
Posted By:
Posted By:hapapinay on: 8/11/2008 6:25:17 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: I need ADVICE< PLEASE
hapapinay

I need ADVICE< PLEASE
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2008 6:25:17 PM
I have been working at a good friend of my familiy's  salon for almost two years now. This is the first place I have worked after I got my license, and I feel like I am on a sinking ship. I dont want to hurt the owners feelings but I just cannot take the atmosphere anymore. There are so many problems with the salon that I get so overwelmed and stressed out. I am on commission (60%)  which is alot to some but not really if haircuts start at $12 and color starts at $35.  I feel lucky to be trusted with clients and being able to work how I want, but I'm having such a hard time retaining clients. ( I feel like they don't take me seriously because of the decor/ location/ atmosphere/ and prices) I have a small following of clients which help keep my head above water and most of my bills paid but my future seems to be getting darker every month that passes.  I live about 40 mins away from downtown Los Angeles. I looked up all sorts of assistant postions available and for now all I can do is dream.  I know it would be worth the time and effort to be an assistant under a respected stylist but I'm scared to make the move.  My friend works at a Fantastic Sams and makes okay money (good area, good clients) but I'm so scared of chain salons and not being able to style and take my time perfecting the clients salon experience. PLEASE ANY ADVICE NEEDED, thanks in advance

hapapinay

update
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 3:01:00 PM

so I made up a resume and sent it out. I just came back from an interview with a salon in LA ( right in downtown, next to the Staples Center ) for an assistant position. the salon is called Salon Eleven.  I like the salon very much and i think ill reply to other ads for an assistant position. Fred Segal just put up an ad for assistants. Im super excited.

beauty53
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:02:53 PM
The important issue for you to remember is that this is business.   It would be naive to think there won't be hurt feelings.  It is very sad to lose a stylist that you have taken under your wing; however, it is the nature of the business.  I would suggest you handle this with honesty and professionalism.   It is important for you to set goals for your career.  A goal isn't really achievable unless you include a "by when" in the goal itself.  If it is your goal to be charging $45 for a haircut and $65 (example) for a single application color, you must set a time frame.  It is important to dream big...but it is also important to be realistic about your level of expertise and the demographic area where you work.   A high end assistant job may be just the ticket for you.  Attitude will be extremely important.  Give more than anyone expects and learn everything you can.  Best of luck!!