Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > >>>>Unappreciated in NC<<<<
Posted By:
Posted By:talented937 on: 8/14/2008 12:09:25 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: >>>>Unappreciated in NC<<<<
talented937

>>>>Unappreciated in NC<<<<
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:09:25 PM

Hello, I just recently move to NC from OH and some of the hair styles to me are out of date.  I am a stylist that promotes healthy hair care and love what I do. I can service ANY client that steps into the salon. Every client that comes in, is intitled to there time in my chair. I feel were I am currently, my hair style techniques are unappreciated. It is a walk-in salon. Clients come into the salons, but they are not regulars. I see them MAYBE once a month for major services. You can't even imagine what their hair looks like after 4-6 weeks and hair care is not on there list of things to do. I am a BEAUTICIAN not a magician... 

I also, get comments from other stylist which can be good but, they say them so negativley. Like "oh, this is not a hair show every hair does not have to be in place" or "does it have to be so perfect" and "that looks like a wig". I've been with the company for two years, here in the new state for one. I wanted to build clientele so, I could leave and be independent. But, clients are not coming like I anticipated. I'am terrified that I will not make it, in this unfamilar area with out the walk-in service. I always check the job postings, but most salons want you to sign your life away.. Really, considering moving again to a capital for hair stylist, any ideas where that may be?  Any advice would help. Thanks, talented937

elaphunk

it's not so bad.......
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 4:57:53 PM

why don't you try a different salon in a bigger city in NC?  I live in one of the bigger cities and people are pretty hip to current trends, it may be worth the commute.  You could also try to find the trendiest spot in your current location if you don't like the idea of a drive.  NC has quite a few wonderful cities for hairstylists.

talented937

current trends where?...
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 10:44:59 AM
Which cities are biggger, I currently live in charlotte. But thing is I'am not sure which salons generate a nice walk-in clientele. With out having to sign your life away... Which city do you live in?

xxhairdivaxx
Bronze Member

NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK...
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2008 3:29:53 PM

@Talented937:

You are in the heart and soul of NC: CHARLOTTE!!! Thats where I plan to move in the next 10 years.

I understand how you feel and what you are going through, but do everything to the best of your ability as a stylist.  Your co-workers are haters. There are some heavy-hitter salons in Charlotte. I recommend this: Visit the chamber of commerce office in downtown Charlotte and collect all business information. That will be your main focus for potential clientele.  Come equipped with your business cards, flyers and/or promotional info. 

Also frequent every major event.  I don't care if its from dog shows to pie eating contests to get potential clients.  You have to get yourself out there.  Save some pennies and place an ad in the Charlotte Observer. 

There are many opportunities in the Queen City!!!

See, you're like a seed.  A seed needs water and sunshine in order for it to grow. Positive responses from your peers and the people who like and love you is your water and sunshine.  However a seed needs dirt in order for it to grow.  The snide comments from your co-workers is only a sign that you are a threat to them. Don't let their catty-ness and negativity pull you down or second guess yourself.  You are a professional, state licensed stylist. It took a lot of hard work and a lot of money for you to get to where you are now.  They're jealous. Pay them no mind and just smile at them.  Thats what I do to my co-workers who talk slick.  I know my work is great. And yours is too!!!!

KEEP ME POSTED!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

talented937

Network !...
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:46:00 PM

Networking sounds good. But I'm so shy. Maybe thats what's holding me back. But, since I've been in charlotte I have been opening up a little. I think the move was good for me. I was born and raised in ohio and I want to take my creativity to the next level. Maybe I'm expecting them to come like they know me but, they don't. This is a big city and networking is something I might need to invest in.

Thanks for the pep talk.

What city are you in?

xxhairdivaxx
Bronze Member

A-HA!
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:51:30 PM

@Talented937:

See, now we've pinpointed the problem here's the solution: First I have to ask; Do you drive? If so, I want you to ride around Charlotte (I know Charlotte is a HUGE city) and check out your competition.  Scope out some salons just to see what they do, what services they offer and their prices.  This will give you some idea how to go about your sales pitch to potential clients and to see in a nutshell the clientele needs and wants.  This will also give you an edge up on how stylists operate in Charlotte which will open the door for you to offer potential clients something better.

Don't be shy, be confident! Remember that you love doing hair and you have a family to feed. Think about doing a demonstration at your salon.  Being that you're new the people need to see what you can do. Offer $5 discounts for a limited time, and the ol refer a friend type deal.  For example: Your flyer should read refer two people to me and you will get 15% off your next service.

I work for the JC Penney Salon @ Newport Centre Mall in Jersey City, NJ and yes Jersey City is big not to mention Manhattan is 3 minutes across the water!

My manager is way cool!!! I'm doing a back to school demonstration next week. And what we do @ Penney's is that we set up a small table with our business cards, products, and promotional flyers. And I will either take a manikin(SP?) or a real person and demonstrate a haircut and blow out or cut and thermal iron curl/flat iron. I tell my potential clients what services I offer and my schedule and offer them a tour of the salon.

You can do the same thing if your boss will allow you to.

If not there's always youtube.com!!

You can post yourself doing a demonstration on youtube or design your own page i.e. myspace and post pictures of the work that you do.

So many ways to promote yourself all you have to do is have a little faith and take that first step.

If you have any questions or need advice I will do the best that I can to help you.

BTW, there's a real upscale ritzy type mall in Charlotte I believe its off of Pineville/Matthews Rd bka Rt.51. The name is on the tip of my tongue.....omg; anywho I think it starts with a S; thats your target right there. You know if customers don't mind spending $500 for Louis Vutton, they won't mind spending the money for a fabulous hair style.  Pass out your business cards there.

I want to hear a progress report, Talented937

HAVE FAITH

KEEP ME POSTED!!!!

zoiesmom

Don't give up!
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 7:52:46 PM

There are lots of great salons, and opportunites in and around Charlotte! If the salon you are at is not a good fit, start looking around. As for the comments of those around you, don't mind them! It sounds like they may feel threatened ;-)

If you ever get down to Waxhaw, just south of Charlotte, look me up at FUZION Hair Design! Or send me an email!

Keep smiling.

hairjoy

shy too
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 10:50:35 PM
I am shy too, but I have found the way for me to network without feeling awkward is to join in some activities that I enjoy. Once you get to talking to people and tell them about the latest class you attended or your favorite product, etc etc. it starts the ball rolling. I build relationships slowly and quietly but it works. Then you get clients coming in for you. Not random people who walk in. You want people who care enough about your talents that they ask for you, So make the walk ins you do get see that you are not just walking through their service but are listening to them and have a plan for the next time. Then between your walkins and those who come because they know of you, you will be on a roll.

cutndry81

I feel you...
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 8:44:16 PM

I'm in the same situation.  I ended up moving from a very high end salon to a JC Penney salon (in Tennessee) for the insurance.  Quite frankly, I am the most educated and experienced stylist in that place and hear comments identical to the ones you are hearing from your co-workers.  When I started out there I made friends with everyone that worked there, then when I got promoted after 3 months over most of the others and got booked solid for the next month or so the claws came out.  Don't worry it's true that they just feel threatened.  If you ignore it and keep to yourself they will stop.  Also, it's funny when the same people who talk about you being too perfect or whatever come to you and ask you how to formulate a color or something.  I just smile and tell them that if they can't handle the situation to just refer the client to me and I will be glad to teach them.

I feel the same as you about promoting healthy hair care which is really hard to get across to people around here who have never known anything other than fried hair, and in this general area everything is a bit behind mainstream essentially.  Even though you are shy try to market yourself to clients that would appreciate a fashion forward look and once you please a few people like that they will flock to you then you can corner the market and will be so busy you won't have time enough to pay attention to your lovely co-workers.