Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Can I Teach Myself How To Do This?
Posted By:
Posted By:galaxyrodeo on: 8/26/2008 11:12:40 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Can I Teach Myself How To Do This?
galaxyrodeo

Can I Teach Myself How To Do This?
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:12:40 PM
I work for a corporate salon with a big name known for its education and precision cutting and design.

I've been there since January, right after beauty school. I was also promoted to managing the assistants after a few months and was given some fun opportunities to assist at major event.

My problem is that I work for minimum wage and I don't feel like I'm learning much as I only get to cut hair a few times a week in my classes. During those classes my teachers are taking clients so it's difficult to actually be taught. I've noticed the person who's in charge of teaching does what she can to avoid teaching me. I also find the salon, despite its reputation, to be extremely unprofessional and nasty and really, it just stresses me out. it's difficult for me to think creatively (in 3 dimensions) and cut hair in that environment. And as I only cut hair twice a week, my cutting has slowed down and I've actually gotten worse at it. Especially when I cut at the salon.

So I've looked into other salons but really, this is the only technique that I'm interested in. I've also been told that it's going to be the same at any salon.

I'm very good at networking and already have a nice clientele outside of the salon that i can't expand simply because I'm always assisting (shampooing hair).

So I was wondering...is it a crazy idea to try to teach myself? I have all the books and DVDs that we use to train from. I'm very self motivated and disciplined.

Would this be possible or just a stupid decision?

popgyrl
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:10:34 AM
Its completely normal and common to feel like you are getting worse as you learn. Its just your brain sorting out all the new information and mixing it with old information.

It still happens to me sometimes after over 10 years!

It's not a bad idea to teach yourself. Get information and ideas from every place possible. It can only make you better in the long run.

xxhairdivaxx
Bronze Member

Do You!!!
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:13:15 PM

My situation is almost similar to yours.  The only way to get better is to practice, practice, practice.  My philosophy is this: Watch the dvds until you see them in your sleep.  Break out your maniken and get it cracking!!! I tell my peeps this many times in most of my posts.

You need to get away from that environment because it will hinder your confidence.  Find another salon that will start you as being an assistant (besides shampooing).  Show them what you can do.  Ask if you can bring in a model for a demonstration just to show them your skill level, however at the same time you still need to learn a lot of things.

Honestly, every salon has its own way of doing things. Be it hair cutting, color, even draping a client.  Take what you know and blend it into what ever the other salons techniques that are used. All you have to do is sort out each phase of knowledge and apply it accordingly.

Its so many things that I want to learn how to do, but can't seem to find no one to show me how different techniques are done. I deal mostly with over-curly textured hair. A lot of relaxer applications, weaves, etc, but I'm hungry to learn how certain styles are executed.  What tools and products are being used.  I work for a corporate chain salon (JCP) and its just the same ole/same ole; know what I mean?  The salon is multi-cultural and I work with some very talented women, but their attitude suck. They're a little catty and cut-throat. Haven't worked in that type of environment in a while and I'm getting used to it all over again.

I block them out. Have to in order to retain some peace of mind. Anywho your decision is not stupid at all!!!  Its the smartest thing you can do for yourself.

I go to the hairshows and purchase many, many dvds on all types of styles and hair types.  Thats how I taught myself how to do a lot of styles, yet there is so much more I want to learn how to do.  You can also order dvds online.

Confront the situation head on.  Ask the person if they have anything against you and why it seems that person avoids you when you need be taught.   If necessary have a meeting with the owner/manager to get to the root of the problem.  Maybe that person is intimidated by your potential, feel me.

Debra1

Self Teaching...Will Help
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 12:22:06 AM

Food for thought... In the vast industry you should never stop driving your own education! Just take into consideration the plan of building your ideal clientelle. It doesn't sound like the salon you are in now is very positive or supportive, is this where you want to be for a long time?? Keep persuing your knowledge and consider shopping around for a new salon maybe...

At least you are getting classes in salon, thats more than a lot of salons offer. (Is it worth it?)

If you feel you have skills find a salon willing to take you in and see what you are made of. There's no shame in trying and then taking a step back if you need to later on...

Deb