Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Freaking out! Help!!!
Posted By:
Posted By:Carol611 on: 11/5/2008 4:11:54 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Freaking out! Help!!!
Carol611

Freaking out! Help!!!
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 4:11:54 PM
I left a men's hair salon where I worked several years just recently. I found a really nice shop that was very close to my home and they hired me. Both I and the owner were clear on my strengths and weaknesses, and we are working together very nicely to develop some of my lesser used skills. The place is clean, the staff is friendly and mature, and I love it! I've had an average of two or three clients a day, which is not bad for someone whose last job was over 30 miles away. We have a part time girl who is leaving us at the end of November, and the owner hired another full time girl to take her place. I'm scared to death over this!! This new girl is older than I am and more confident in her skills. This is a scary time to build anyway. Wouldn't the owner tell me she was not satisfied with me if she wasn't? Or would she hire someone else just to squeeze me out? She does know more about the flow of business than I do, I've only been there a few weeks. Someone please tell me I'm reading too far into this!

russnyc
Platinum Member

Believe in yourself
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 5:13:04 PM
The hiring of this girl has nothing to do with you.

Sooner or later, new hirees will appear, your owner probably feels the need to have a full, well rounded range of help and has hired for the salon's needs, which in turn will help you as well.

Your insecurity can indeed make the worst of a situation. Do not cloud your own abitions and goals over something you have no control over.

Greet the new hire warmly, try to welcome her onto the team, and realize that this isn't part of a decision you have control over. Make the best of it and keep your own agenda in mind.

Carol611

thanks
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 7:53:47 AM
that helped a lot! Thank you.

russnyc
Platinum Member

Reply (Salon owners too)
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 7:45:27 PM
I've been on both sides of the fence on this one, being a new guy thrown into a salon with others that aren't really busy isn't fun either.

We are in a downturn economy right now. Make ALL THE small MOMENTS COUNT. If you don't serve beverages or offer finer details to your work, START NOW. Mention this to your bosses,

IT'S SO IMPORTANT RIGHT NOW because people look towards salons as a place to GET AWAY from the economy, and will quickly move to a WELL STOCKED one if yours isn't! Again, if you reek of desperation or scripiness, they will LEAVE for better, inspiring environs!!

It doesn't have to be wine or cappucino. Ice water with lemon, a simple herbal tea or cola with some ice in it.

Make the small moments count. Make sure your place is clean and gracefully lit. Keep things snazzy, refresh a tired lounge with bright pillows or a fresh coat of paint.

If you have excess furniture or equipment gathering dust, GET RID OF IT. If you have dark shadowy parts of your salon LIGHT THEM UP. Have some of your oldest clients CRITIQUE IT.

Even if you're a green conscious salon, it isn't cool to show economy lightbulbs or OVERLY shrewd purchasing habits-

Keep bathrooms well stocked with freshener, baby powder and Kleenex as well as toilet tissue. If it says Costco or walmart on the side, unpack them into a cabinet instead!

NOT ALL of your clients are going through a tough time! If you have to chuck a roll of toilet tissue at a client so she can blow her nose, or there's no air freshener to spray after she's used the bathroom WHEN THERE WAS BEFORE, it SHOWS.

THEY WILL LEAVE.

russnyc
Platinum Member

a
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 7:45:28 PM
a