Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Getting married, but getting shafted!!
Posted By:
Posted By:MOB-town Hair Chick on: 11/25/2008 12:30:56 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Getting married, but getting shafted!!
MOB-town Hair Chick

Getting married, but getting shafted!!
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 12:30:56 AM
Kinda long, I'm sorry. I've got a bit of a situation going on, and I don't know the best way to deal with it. Maybe an objective opinion would work.

My boss asked me a while back to come in the Saturday after Thanksgiving when the salon will be closed to do two upstyles that morning. She will be going out of town, and we have no other stylists except me, so I thought "I won't have anything going on, it's only two upstyles, so it won't take long to do and I'll be able to make a little extra money." So I told her okay and she put them on the book. A week after that my fiance and myself moved into a great new place but needed furniture, and decided we'd spend our "big wedding" money on furniture and just have a small wedding. And because the only time his family can come to town to be a part of our wedding is Thanksgiving, we decided to get married the Friday after Thanksgiving. I've been in wedding bliss ever since then, planning my small yet beautiful wedding that is happening way ahead of schedule because we decided we were only waiting because of money, but that's not an issue, so why wait? It's been wonderful. Friday is going to be the happiest day of my life.

Then there's Saturday. Yes, my boss said I still have to do those two upstyles at 10 that morning. Even beyond the disappointment of having to go to work the morning after my wedding, I'm having a hard time dealing with the fact that my boss would do that to me. Make me go in to work the morning after my wedding. We've always been pretty close friends. I have to wonder if she realizes what a low blow this is. I don't know. Maybe I'm just over-reacting. I'm trying to find other stylists in the area that will be available to do upstyling Saturday morning that I can refer these clients to. Does that sound like a bad way to deal with this? I really just want to deal with this in a relatively painless manner, but not get screwed over (I'm only getting married ONCE. I don't want the most memorable moment being the morning I have to get out of bed with my new husband and go to work. ), but most importantly, do all of this in a manner of class so as not to **** off my boss. I like her, and I like getting along with her and us being on friendly terms. I just need to make sure it stays that way.

Any advice?

Humberto
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 8:35:49 AM
You committed to the updos before you made your wedding plans, as a professional you should follow thru and do the updos.

hairchic
Silver Member

be a pro
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:40:58 AM
I agree with Humberto.. you agreed to the work before you CHOSE a wedding date. you knew saturday was a "work day" would you have scheduled your wedding if you already had clients on the books for say a tuesday?
if I were your boss I would be the one feeling shafted.

"We've always been pretty close friends. I have to wonder if she realizes what a low blow this is." how must your boss be feeling?
Carpe Diem

hapapinay

Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 4:40:35 PM

I understand your problem, but sticking to your word and doing the updos is the best. Are these updos for a wedding? If they are then would you (as one getting ready for wedded bliss) would want someone to cancel on you for your wedding, would you? I really believe in karma, I wouldn't want you to experience some bad karma around your big day.

ponitail
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:56:07 AM

sorry man you committed to doing the wedding, how would you feel if your photographer decided to get married on your wedding weekend and said sorry but now you have no photographer??? your word is an important thing, it says a lot about you, your character, and your reliability, I know it is your wedding, but could you not have gotten married on the Sunday and taken the week off? it is cheaper on a Sunday anyway or on the Saturday later in the evening. You could try to get another stylist in however I would OK this with the boss first.

patience in one minute of anger can prevent one hundred days of sorrow!

MOB-town Hair Chick

Resolution
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:33:55 AM
Thank you all for your diverse and thoughtful replies! I didn't have the guts to discuss any of this with her until today, but when I did, we found some middle ground. Since both of the clients are staying at the same resort, and I will be staying for my wedding night, I will just take my kit to the resort with me and do their styles at their room, where they will be getting ready. (They're not in the wedding itself, they're just attending the wedding itself.) It will work out for everybody, and I won't have to be upset about it or worry about being unprofessional if I canceled. Professionalism is something that's very important to me, and to lose that trust and respect would have really really been the ultimate low blow to myself.

And hapapinay...I loved your reply. Thank you. Very insightful. Next time I start feeling anxious about the working after the wedding thing, I will repeat your reply in my head over and over again as my mantra. :p