Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Feeling stuck!
Posted By:
Posted By:jenmarie on: 1/12/2009 8:18:21 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Feeling stuck!
jenmarie

Feeling stuck!
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 8:18:21 PM
Okay, first off, I'm so glad i found a place where I can talk openly to other people of my profession.

Second, I'm feeling like I'm in a tight spot.
I have been a hairstylist for over two years now, and have been working in the same salon for over a year and a half now. My business is okay... some weeks are slow though. I know it could be busier for me. My problem is that the salon i work at is pretty "old school". My manager doesn't offer us any extended education classes, and i feel like i should be learning new techniques. Sometimes when i'm doing someones hair... i feel like i'm just trying to teach myself some of the cutting and coloring techniques, and it makes me feel like i could be doing it more correctly if i new the proper techniques. I just have to do trial and errors to really learn instead of having classes to teach me. I feel like i could be much more talented and confident in my skills if i had more classes to learn from. Is there any way to convince my manager to help us out with this? Should i find a new salon that offers me more education? advice would be much appreciated!!

deal

feeling stuck
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:52:22 PM

I would recommend that you move on,the owner is not going to change and she probably is in it only for the money.She doesn,t sound like a leader,Just curios,where are you from?

Deal

deal

feeling stuck
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:52:58 PM

jenmarie

Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:49:13 PM
i am in middle georgia.

beauty53
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 12:21:18 AM

If I were you, I would begin looking around at other salons in the area where you work.  Look in the windows and see what type of stylists work there.  Are there signs in the windows offering client promotions?  Is the salon modern and updated?  You can also check the local paper and see who is advertising.  The place you want to affiliate with is a salon that is growing.  If you find a salon that has 10 to 12 chairs, you will learn a great deal from working with other stylists.  You are fairly new in the industry and if you approach more experienced stylist with a humble "teach me" attitude, I believe you will find some wonderful people who will be happy to help and encourage you.  Don't assume your not good enough to go into a high end salon.  Aim for the stars and be willing take direction and criticism.  Present yourself as a professional who wants to reach your highest potential.  There is a lot of opportunity in this industry for young stylist who have staying power and a strong work ethic.  Best of luck!!

jenmarie

Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 12:52:16 AM
thanks for the encouraging words. it really makes me think if i could get into somewhere more modern and better. because right now i feel like i'm in a dying salon.