Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Leaving Salon Tips!!
Posted By:
Posted By:SL on: 1/22/2009 7:17:14 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Leaving Salon Tips!!
SL

Leaving Salon Tips!!
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:17:14 PM

russnyc
Platinum Member

Sit down and write up reasons for both sides
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:29:51 PM
Hi

This happened to me awhile ago, and I'll frame it like this-

It's "comfortable" where you're at now, but you will actually have to jump out of your comfort zone to move to the new place and this is hard .

I would also look below the surface of the new place, ASK plenty of questions, figure out the seniority levels of the people already working there, and how long in the tooth the owners are. I wouldn't jump into bed with an owner that has less than three years' experience running a shop, and if you are one of the oldest behind the chair don't move! Newer, shinier and modern are NOT ASSETS RIGHT NOW because all those lovely surfaces and modern equipment have somehthing your old salon most likely doesn't.

A line of credit, and business LOAN to pay for all of it!

Stop looking at the salon as something they built you out of nothing, it is a partnership and one I think you know already you have outgrown. However, your old salon's loans are probably paid off already or a small part of operating costs. This in turn allows for promoting yourself.

If you feel the shop will close, the clients have already picked up your vibe. However, it's not too late. Here's what to do-

Build yourself out so that you can do BOTH.

Have all the information arranged so that you could actually walk out the door tomorrow and be able to take every client with you but don't do it yet. Tell your boss that clients have complained that the vibe is poor...

Go to your boss and explain how you are torn. DO NOT mention the job offer specifically but that you feel the salon is worn out and you need some uplift, either in responsibility, managing, or designing a new business approach. Perhaps your boss is WAITING for you to step up to the bat.

If you have a greedy manipulative boss that simply refuses to see that things are bad, he'll either fire you or you'll know right away you should move based on how paranoid he gets.

Listen to your own intuition, leaving is a highly personal choice but one you can't really undo once you've decided to do so.
Russ H. Colorist at the Roy Teeluck Salon 57th & Madison Avenue, Manhattan NYC "There are no ugly women, only lazy ones." -Helena Rubenstein

SL

Job Interview
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:08:25 PM

SL

I've weighed the Pros and Cons
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 11:02:02 PM

beauty53
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:14:00 PM

I have sat on both sides of this issue.  As an owner who received the bad news that someone was leaving...and as a booth renter that knew I needed to move on and had to give notice.  It's isn't an easy decision, but I firmly believe there is more negative energy created in a salon when someone stays who, in fact, has already left.  I sold a salon and continued to work there for a few months.  She and I are totally different people and she redecorated in a way that I found totally disgusting and embarrassing.  One day my son came in and I said to him, "look what she has done to the salon.  It's hideous!!!"  He very nicely told me that it wasn't as bad as I viewed it, BUT what was bad was my attitude!  He told me the BEST thing I could do for her was to leave.  I can say without reservation that it was.  She was very upset when I left, but it allowed her to move in a completely different direction and she is successful.  You can only be responsible for your own career.  All relationships have seasons.   You might be surprised that your leaving is exactly what motivates the owner to re-invent her salon OR know it is time for her to sell.   You may actually be the catalyst for the change the salon needs.  Best of luck to you.