Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Bumping the base??????
Posted By:
Posted By:ninagirl on: 1/27/2009 5:17:48 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Bumping the base??????
ninagirl

Bumping the base??????
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:17:48 PM
I have a client that I lost and she was very nice to let me know she wanted to try something different. She said the girl bumped the base. And I know there are many different ways to bump the base. Maybe some of you can share with me how you do it?

beauty53
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:48:34 PM

Bumping the base, simply stated, is using an oxidative color and lightening her natural color approximately 1 shade.  It not only covers grey, it also evens the porosity of the hair and creates a pleasing result.  High or lowlights can be placed in foils, while addressing the new growth.

Jan Norris, Board Certified Haircolorist

beauty53
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:49:05 PM

Bumping the base, simply stated, is using an oxidative color and lightening her natural color approximately 1 shade.  It not only covers grey, it also evens the porosity of the hair and creates a pleasing result.  High or lowlights can be placed in foils, while addressing the new growth.

Liv2style

Bumping the base
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 8:05:11 PM

I perfer to bump the base while doing foils at the same time. I put the color on the newgrowth first and then go over the top and do foils. Bleach will pull right through the base color and tone it at the same time. Works great and is a good time saver!

beauty53
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 9:21:30 PM

I think we do the same thing.  Apply color to the roots or new growth while placing foils all in one step.  Or do you apply the base throughout and then go back and place foils?  Because I do quite a bit of slicing directly on the scalp, I don't like to cover color with bleach.  Personal preference.

heatherdazy
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 10:28:55 AM
Hm, what's been mentioned so far is different than what I've known as 'bumping the base'.

What I often do on clients who are naturally a level 7 or lighter is use a permanent color with 30 vol in the shampoo bowl after I rinse my highlights. It lifts their base color just a touch while toning the highlights and just leaves everything a bit more blended and brighter.

Liv2style

base
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 11:12:39 AM

You can use any kind of technique. Some people use before highlights some during some after. It just depends on your prefrence.

beauty53
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 2:04:24 PM

To clarify, "Bumping the Base" is a termed that was coined by the American Board of Certified Haircolorist.  It's definition is simply to "bump" or lighten the base color or root area. 

I agree with all have different techniques to accomplish our goal; however, if grey coverage is a big part of the equation (and it is for the majority of my clients) applying color at the bowl would probably not be sufficient processing time to cover the gray.  My biggest factor in determining the technique I use is the time factor.  If I can accomplish what I need to in one step...I save time.  I base my prices $$$ per 15 minutes and it could get pretty steep for the client if I was taking more time that absolutely necessary.

Jan Norris, ABCH

ninagirl

bumping the base
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 7:29:33 PM

So you use 30 vol with what level of haircolor and for how long at the bowl? I understand that this technique may not be used for gray coverage.

pixanne
Platinum Member

same as 'breaking the base'?
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:08:25 PM
if you are talking about lifting the base color 1 shade quickly, we call it breaking the base where i work. i use a level 8, 9 or 10 with 10 volume. at the bowl on wet hair at the roots for 10 minutes. we do this after highlights, or in-between-times to brighten up the roots. this does not cover gray. it works best on hair that is a natural level 6 or lighter already(in my opinion). don't leave it on any longer than 10 mins. some people call this a toner.