Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Something not quite right about demi-permanent?
Posted By:
Posted By:AMMO on: 2/11/2009 8:39:57 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Something not quite right about demi-permanent?
AMMO

Something not quite right about demi-permanent?
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:39:57 AM

This is only my personal experience and dilemna, but it definitely has me puzzled and I can only reach out to other color artists to understand!

I am a natural red head, somewhere between a level seven and eight. For months now I have been using demi permanent color - Shades EQ and PM Shines. I have been using red, i.e. 5C, 7C, 6AA. Whatever I was feeling like at the time, they are all very similar. They fade out, but never completely.

I have decided I want to go blonde by summer. This should theoretically be very easy, as my hair is currently not very dark since I have done a soap cap. If it was just my natural red that would be even more of a piece of cake!

However, as I am trying to lift out the color (I have not used flat out lightener yet, but intend to after my hair has a break), it is turning an unnatural goldenrod fluorescent yellow, a yellow that I have never seen before, except for the last time I tried to lift out PM Shines 6R, and was inexperienced and attributed it to other factors.

My conclusion is that my hair has been stained this unGODly bright yellow color by the demi-permanent. A permanent color wouldn't do this, it would just lift out.

I intend to use an on the scalp lightener to take it up a few levels, and then use a high lift blue/violet base to try and knock out the yellow. This would theoretically work, but to me this shade goes beyond any theory that I've been taught!!

Anyone have any advice or similar experiences?

russnyc
Platinum Member

True semi
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:54:40 PM
The only true semi are the color shampoos, Redken EQ as well as PM Shines offer some grey coverage AND get darker if you cap them or leave on longer, these are signs that they have direct dyes in them, though they aren't as durable as a true demi, this is what males them so popular, because you can change them up easily...

You only have to look at Yellow Kicker to see what the EQ Reds are based upon, the buildup minis the red molecules because they are larger and fell off more easily.

Try using several chelating treatments using 20v and clear EQ to pull out the goldenrod color before lightening, violet isn't enough to cancel the neon yellow.
Russ H. Colorist at the Roy Teeluck Salon 57th & Madison Avenue, Manhattan NYC "There are no ugly women, only lazy ones." -Helena Rubenstein

AMMO

Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 12:18:11 PM
thank you for your help! I will try that as well but the other action I will be taking is to cut all my hair off lol. I guess it's kind of an excuse to do so, but I am still hoping to tone some of that yellow down since I am not shaving my head! haha. thank you again. I will not be working with direct dyes anymore!

heatherdazy
Silver Member

Question for Russ
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 5:20:20 PM
Can you please explain what makes 20v and clear work?

It seems totally out of left field to me!

AMMO

ick!
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 8:12:58 AM
The Shades EQ yellow kicker is EXACTLY the horrid color that my hair is stained!