Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > My client told me...how do I deal!?
Posted By:
Posted By:MissPinUp on: 3/12/2009 7:51:16 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: My client told me...how do I deal!?
MissPinUp

My client told me...how do I deal!?
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 7:51:16 PM
Today I had a client tell me she was being abused by her boyfriend. She told me he bit her on the ear, which I could plainly see teeth marks, pushed her around and hit her. There was definitely obvious abuse. When I asked her if she was going to do anything, she said she would get a restraining order, but she wasn't sure. She said she wasn't sure if he would kill her or not. This woman has a son my brothers age, around 17, along with a few younger kids. She's divorced, and dating this dead beat.

I told her I would call the cops, and she didn't refuse at all. She said nothing. I'm assuming this is a cry for help, but what can I do? If anything happens to her, I'll feel horrible. I'm confused! Who do I go to? I don't want to make things worse for her!

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 5:38:23 PM
Every county has an abuse hotline. Call them for advice. Clients open up to us on many personal issues for some reason. We're in their space, so to speak, so they feel comfortable with us. It's a common thing...I remember when I was in beauty school, there was a poster on domestic abuse hanging up in the backroom. It had a phone number on it, so I'm sure there's some kind of agency that deals in this. It does sound like a cry for help, and you may just be her G.A.

Since the Rhiana story came out, every one from Larry King to Oprah has done shows on this. Maybe she's seen a show and is starting to realize it's not okay!!!!!! Good luck and I hope you get to help her.

And there are kids involved, so it makes it an even scarier situation.

Oh, and be careful. He could turn on you if he finds out you are getting involved. Anything you do can be done anonymously, too. Not trying to scare you, just be aware.

da_luckiest_one

be careful!
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:48:16 AM
I'm sure you've made a close bond with this client, but in the end you have to watch out for yourself. I would offer her hotline numbers and a shoulder to cry on, but I would not directly get involved. If he has threatened to kill someone he "loves," who knows what could happen to a complete stranger he has no feelings for.

In the end, as stylists, we try to make our clients feel comfortable, but there are lines we cannot cross.