Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > How much would you put up with?
Posted By:
Posted By:geekforhair on: 3/14/2009 10:59:35 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: How much would you put up with?
geekforhair

How much would you put up with?
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 10:59:38 PM

Lately my boss is being very rude and hard to put up with. She has done some things and said things that almost made me walk out the door. A few examples are like when I was asking for a day off in advance she said "F-that" and that it was silly that I was asking off for something she had no interest in. Today, she told me and my coworker, who were in the middle of a discussion to stop talking in front of her client because it is annoying and rude to not include someone. She says this right in front of everyone. She is always verbally abusive and has even "played" hitting on the back or head. As you can imagine, this is so annoying to everyone. I did speak up today and let her know that it hurt my feelings, it was thrown right back at me though. She does not realize how mean she talks to us, it was so bad today that when I got in my car, I cried all the way home. This just seems ridiculous to me. What should I do? There is also another boss, who called me and apologized and she knew I had such a bad day....

AlenaL
Bronze Member

verbal abuse
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:58:42 AM
I wouldn't work there anymore. I'd start looking for another place. Everyone needs a boss who is supportive, or you'll become discouraged. I was in a situation similar to this one, but my boss was extremely talented. On one hand, it was good to learn from her, but the other hand, I cried too often.

I left 4 years ago and I'm glad I did. My self esteem was dwindling, and I left just in time.

geekforhair

Thanks for the advice..
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:05:10 PM
I am considering leaving and going to my own salon suite. It seems that it would be best for me that way. I love co-workers, but women bosses always seem worse than others Ive had. I have been there for two years and its hard making a big change like that for me. Thank you for the advice..:)

Jack the Clipper

Quit
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:12:19 PM
Now. If your boss does not appreciate the fact that you make money for her, get someone who will. You have one life and there is no re-run. Get yourself a career that empowers you or you will end up wasting all the best years of your life for nothing.

geekforhair

Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 8:45:52 PM

Jack,

I know you are right. It is such a big move that I would be making, its scary. I would be going from comission to renting a suite on my own, paying weekly and doing all my own taxes. But its exciting at the same time.

Another awful thing I found out yesterday from another stylist is that the boss has been putting my regular clients on her book in order to make more money. She has made up excuses that I cant take it, rather than offering for me to do them at a different time. I am just speechless. I did not think it would come to this.

heatherdazy
Silver Member

Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 11:11:11 PM
Geek, this sort of thing was happening to me where I was (clients were told I was on vacation, booked up, not working, etc) and I had to start renting with only 30% of the clients I should have to be renting because no one's hiring right now.

I wish you the best of luck! I think you will be happier when you don't have all those negative people around your clients!