Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > sexism anyone else?
Posted By:
Posted By:AliG on: 4/28/2009 12:50:28 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: sexism anyone else?
AliG

sexism anyone else?
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:50:28 AM
female working in industry and want suggestions how to change sexist attitudes

I run into situations where females in industry with same/higher qualifications are passed over for jobs/promotions/etc while a less qualified male gets chosen - why?

Yes, yes it doesn't *always* happen but enough that I feel frustrated and want some suggestions on how to change this within industry

consider: many occupational surveys show that hairdressing is still a female dominated profession yet when we look at the recognition given to stylists (competition winners, platform artists etc) it's often men that are center stage - why?

Personal examples:
I worked in a salon where a walk in client (knowing nothing about skill level etc) requested that the male sweeping the floor (apprentice less than 3 months on floor) do her hair instead of the female with 8+ years color experience. When explained that he was not a stylist, she still wanted to see him because she believed "men do hair better".

How can we turn these attitudes around?

Humberto
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:40:41 AM
You can't change everyone's beliefs, but you can influence how an individual perceives you. It is done on a one to one basis.

Your work and professionalism will convert clients over to you.

As for platform work and competition, these require lots of travel and time away from home, so being single and childless gives more men an advantage.

I'm a 50 year old straight male and I've had clients tell me that they only go to "young stylists, tattooed stylist, gay stylist, long haired stylist, funky haired stylists, women stylist, single stylist, pierced stylists etc....." . don't get offended just learn to roll with the punches.

Give your clients good service and you will never depend on walk ins because all your business and success will be from referrals. Just learn to smile all the way to the bank.

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 4:45:41 PM

sadly, a lot of the time, the perception is that being a hairdresser is a career when a man does it, and a job when a woman does it.

i've had those same experiences throughout the years, when a woman prefers to go to one of the males in the salon rather than a female, regardless of talent, or years of experience. they just think a man will make them look attractive to the opposite sex,or they take the work more seriously, whatever. it'll never change.

don't worry about it, there's enough hair to go around.

as for peers in the profession being sexist, i don't know how you might change that. but we are the worker bees, and the backbone of the salon.i think if you want the prestige etc, you can have it too, by focusing solely on the goal. there are a fair number of women who are platform artists, educators and innovators in the industry. more than there were 10 years ago, and it keeps on growing.just go for what you want, you're more likely to make it in this field than a lot of others,lol.