Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > I don't think I can take it anymore!
Posted By:
Posted By:georgesmom on: 5/19/2009 6:30:47 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: I don't think I can take it anymore!
georgesmom

I don't think I can take it anymore!
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:30:47 AM
I love what I do and I have for the last 8 years enjoyed working for my boss. About a year ago my boss's son graduated from beauty school and one guess where he is working! Bingo...of course she hired him! I get that family takes care of family. My issue is that this kid is the most irritating, arrogant person I know! He has never worked a day in his life until now, and literally does whatever he wants. He shows up whatever time he wants to, he leaves whenever he wants to, he even pockets money . You never know where you will find supplies because he is anal about stuff and moves something every day just because it bugs him where it's at! There are a total of ten operators and he thinks he runs the place! SAD part is my boss, his mother doesn't say anything! She might gripe behind his back but she never puts him in his place! I am slowly losing respect for her as well as developing a bad attitude about work. I am about 15 years older than the other operators, and I cinsider myself to be mature. I treat my clients with respect, and always take my time with them. When they are in my chair my time is theirs. I truly feel like I have gone back in a time capsule...back to my highschool years! The girls gossip constantly, they all have smoke sessions all day long while hanging out the back door. They complain about each other and then kiss each others butts, and best of all, they insult the "boy wonder" and yet they are up his rear all day. You know....as I read what I am writing I realize just how toxic of a work environment I am in. I guess I will have to focus on what I need to do. I have always wanted my own salon at my home. I guess I'm just scared to make that move and I don't really know how to do it. There are soooo many "what if's"  My boss is never going to dis her kid, therefore it is up to me to ditch the toxicity in my life. Can anyone relate to my dilemma, and better yet give me some advice !!! I am going to lose my sanity if I don't do something! ...Thanks, Jen 

cuttingloose22

just some on topic thoughts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:30:58 AM
I would sit down and talk to your boss, communication is key in a work environment. I've seen this happen at another salon i was at, it wasn't the son but similar scenario.If she isnt going to confront her son,start looking elsewhere.

Especially if he's pocketing money, because that is serious and could hurt your bosses expenses greatly and whats to say he wouldn't steal from you if he steals from his own mother.

As for your own salon, I would say go for it. As long as you have client profile cards that you have them sign aknowleging that including but not limited to minimum to severe breakage, discoloration, etc. etc. and you get insurance to cover your butt, its a lot of work, time and investment, but i think opening your own salon could be great for you. good luck!

georgesmom

thanks cuttingloose22
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:43:09 AM
I already have talked to my boss she says " I KNOW" and makes some kind of halfbutted excuse for why he does what he does (and might i add...., it's NEVER his fault!), we have become good friends over the years we are the same age and have many life similarities which also makes me think that I should get while the gettin is good and before our relationship is in ruins. Lets face it , she isn't going to get rid of him. I guess its time for me to take control of my own destiny, do my research, and prepare for my move! I always wanted to have my own salon, and master a skincare and professional makeup business included in the salon. I want it to be at my house. This involves a new addition, not to mention all the building codes and such. If it isn't possible to achieve right away at least knowing that is is an achievable goal in my somewhat near future.....I can live with that(for a little while). I appreciate your input, and always welcome new points of view! ....JEN