Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > She's clueless, and I'm ready to kill myself
Posted By:
Posted By:Tat2dchik on: 5/20/2009 6:56:06 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: She's clueless, and I'm ready to kill myself
Tat2dchik

She's clueless, and I'm ready to kill myself
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:56:06 PM

Oh Lord, I'm in a pickle...

I work in a small city with an overload of salons with psycho owners and nasty stylists, and I've been an employee at nearly all of them. 11 jobs in 25 years -- ugh. Now I'm 44 years old with what I feel is nothing to show for all my hard work and advanced education, my body is tired, and my drive is gone. I got let go for the first time in my life 2 1/2 years ago from a job I loved because I "didn't fit in with the salon image." Being a tattooed motorcycle enthusiast went against the blonde, tooth whitened, tan giggly image, I suppose.

Anyhoo....

Now I work in a salon owned by a former "Merry Maid," for lack of a better term. Never been a stylist and knows absolutely zippo about modern salon business. She thinks because she owned her own cleaning business, she doesn't need to be taught how to run a salon. Let me tell you, it is only by the grace of God and the few decent stylists she's managed to keep that have kept her afloat.

So here I come...educated, talented, ambitious, still in love with doing hair...

I settled for less commission, no vacation pay, no benefits whatsoever. She won't even pay for a small portion of classes and is completely apathetic about bringing in FREE in-house education. What can I say? I needed a job, and I needed to be somewhere where I wasn't constantly pulling knives out of my back.

She claims she wants to be "upscale" and "cutting edge." She wants business to be booming. So I give suggestions -- well known marketing techniques, customer service tips, etc. I work my butt off -- selling retail, building clientele, doing all I can to help this lady with her business. So what do I get in return? Nothing but friggin' grief. Now she gets personally offended at nearly EVERYTHING I say. I'm telling you, if I didn't tell her we were out of toilet paper, clients would be ripping pages out of the magazines! She spends all day griping about having to be there or being broke, or she's on the computer doing her home party skin care business. If she put half the energy into her salon as she did that, we'd all be millionaires. She has been on the stylists about conserving color, so when I told her I had to dump out 2 bowls of color because someone had not cleaned red color out of them properly, she took it as though I was b*tching! How about telling people to clean up after themselves? But no! I get attitude! And that is just the tip of the iceberg...but I'll not burden you with more.

Friends and colleagues...this woman has made me hate hairdressing. I dread going to work. There are no more decent salons in my town where I could move to, and I think my clients would kill me if I moved again. What makes me so intensely sad is, I know this lady is a good lady. She serves in her church and community. She loves people. But she seems to hate me and I feel powerless to change her opinion.

A pickle, indeed.

chadfromnc

Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:56:36 AM

Hey Tat2chick.

Dont let a person like that ruin what you love to do..  I let too much negativeness get to me when i was first starting out in 2005. I left the field after a year of it.. Now Im getting ready to get my license back. I just have to go take the practical exam. My school hours are locked in as well as my therory exam..  As soon as I graduated school I went straight to work at a Regis then Great clips. Big mistake.. this time im gonna enter the field right, Id lvoe to do apprenticship work and or booth rent... I have a full time job now so I can afford to pay to booth rent with litle cliental to begin with... Back to you..... Dont let someone rain on your parade!!!! I did and It cost me lost time...

hairgirl913

I understand!
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 11:06:17 PM
I am 35, love being a stylist, and have jumped on the job pony as much as you my friend.Last year, I had a nervous breakdown over something a much younger ambitious chain shop manager said about me being nothing more to her shop than a older replaceable stylist.
Oh, and read my "OMG" post to see what just happened this past two weeks.I think that was the last straw for me.
I have decided to move on to bigger and better things because this business has ripped my heart out and left me with allot of knee problems, carpel tunnel,an anxiety disorder, and many empty promises.The only way I think it could ever work is if people like us won the lottery and opened our own shops.Til then- I am going to keep going to my community college and hope for better days ahead.Wishing you the best, and allot better!

Tat2dchik

Free at last. free at last, Thank God Almighty, I'm free at last!
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 10:27:45 PM
Well, some time has elapsed since I posted this originally...Much has changed. I am happy to share the good news that a new salon has finally opened in our commuity that is ready to make a serious impact. I was approached to work there back in November, but I have to admit I was a bit frightened. I had been so demoralized as a professional that I wasn't sure I had what it takes any more! I decided to stay put for the time being, thus making myself and everyone around me miserable. At the end of March I was pushed out. The owner hired my ex-boss, who was an extremely abusive person when I worked for her. I lost nearly 15 pounds in 4 weeks due to the stress. I was urged to move on for my own good.Good thing, too, as the new salon is going to TAKE OFF. Every day I get at least one or two new clients. The shelves are stocked, the bathrooms are clean, the receptionists are professional and my co-workers are all there to work as a team, not every woman for herself. My paychecks are steadily improving and I am going to be able to make it to the Orlando Premiere Show next month. Yes....I am getting my life back and more. I am getting back my "muchness," my creative edge, my fearlessness. Those girls down the highway can have it: the unstocked color and retail, the dirty bathroom with the urinal, the total disinterest in marketing and giving back to the community, the petrified, filthy Arbonne makeup collecting dust in the back. Most of all I don't miss buying almost all of my nail supplies. "All About Buying A New Pair of Shape-ups Instead Of New Hoses For The Broken Shampoo Units" (names have been changed to protect the barely innocent) will go bankrupt, and I will be blissfully free.

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:05:08 PM
yay! enjoy the new place and try to let go of the crappy place's memory.onwards and upwards!