Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > I think in done...
Posted By:
Posted By:Julesxo on: 5/27/2009 6:30:47 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: I think in done...
Julesxo

I think in done...
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:30:47 PM
I really dont know what to do anymore. Im an assistant in CA whos getting paid $100 a week. I cannot survive on $100 a week. I work 36 hrs a week which mean im working 20+ hrs for free or $2.50/hr. Ive tried to talkto my boss but she tries to justify it by saying she didnt make anything, that assisting is hard, that I should be self motivated instead of thinking of money. And after working like this for 6 months Ive realized I enjoy doing makeup a lot more and I have more fun with it. I dont know what to do. She said she doesnt need me but if when shes triple booking and there arent any other assistants she does, but im not happy at all. I need advice please! PLEASE!

russnyc
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 8:55:16 AM
Jules

The only limitations are those you put on yourself. I would've left that job a long time ago. Years ago I worked in a shop and had a very similar situation.

There is no easy solution in this economy, but relying on anyone to dig you out or trying to blame your boss for not paying you enough is like looking through the telescope the wrong way.

Start reviewing your options with other salons. One thing to consider is becoming a personal assistant to a busy stylist until you gain a better footing. You won't really build in a brand new salon right now in this economy, so instead look for a salon that has reputation and prestige, and tuck your ego in a bit and assist.

There's lots of money in being a personal assistant, but more importantly it can take you from $100 a week to ten times that in less than a year. You won't do that in any other profession today, but you've got to improve your skill set, and you won't do that where you are now.

Hairdressing has no safety net like an office job. If your boss doesn't get paid, you don't get paid- but you have a benefit of making a heck of a lot of money if you focus, work hard, and persevere.

And to know when it's time to move on.

Russ H.
Colorist at the Roy Teeluck Salon
57th & Madison Avenue, Manhattan NYC

"There are no ugly women, only lazy ones."
-Helena Rubenstein

juliejules

Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 11:27:58 AM
Thats the thing tho she makes at least $1500 a day. Shes told me she could afford to pay me more but assistants dont usually get paid ever so im lucky i get anything. She tries to make up for it by trying to buy me when we have a break and she wants to go to the mall. I tell her no and she gets mad. Ive tried talking to her and thats what she told me (what i wrote before)

russnyc
Platinum Member

Once again...
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 2:15:42 PM
You're not gonna get anything else from your current employer other than excuses. Stop relying on someone who isn't even paying you a living wage.

Stop counting other people's money and start looking for another way.
Russ H. Colorist at the Roy Teeluck Salon 57th & Madison Avenue, Manhattan NYC "There are no ugly women, only lazy ones." -Helena Rubenstein

juliejules

Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 2:32:25 PM
thank you :)