Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > i need advise
Posted By:
Posted By:juliejules on: 5/27/2009 9:07:20 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: i need advise
juliejules

i need advise
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:07:21 PM
I dont know what to do anymore... So I dont know if this is the right section but i need advise. Ive been working for a rental stylist in Cali for 6 months and for 6 months ive been struggling. I get paid $100/wk. Thats $2.50/hr. At first I agreed because i was supposed to be getting classes for free 2x a month but I've only had 2 classes. Ive tried to talk to her and she says assisting is hard and anyone who is self motivated would do this for free and that she could do this without me even though she triple books with no other assistants. I cant afford working my butt off full time for nothing anymore. Ive been doing makeup when the makeup artist is out and ive come to realize I LOVE doing makeup way more than I love doing hair. I dont know what to do anymore but I do know that i need to make more money. Please give me your advise :(

pixanne
Platinum Member

look for another job
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 8:06:22 AM

is that what you are getting paid for 40 hours?you need to move on to a situation that pays at least minimum wage! your 'boss' is taking advantage of you, and saying that motivated people would do it for free, i say to her 'find that person!' as for doing makeup, do some freelance work on the side, working with photographers and new modelling hopefuls for what they call 'book', which means you and the model and work for copies of your work in print for your portfolios. then you have something to show for yourself as you go on in looking for employment in makeup.

as for being an assistant, try to find a salon who will hire you as their employee, instead of working for a single renter. you  have no benefits, and nothing going towards unemployment the way it is structured now.take care of yourself, and go for your dreams!

shorthairedgirl
Bronze Member

reach for the stars!
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 7:21:57 AM

your boss wants a slave not an assisstant. tell her to stick it and move on. You know if you love doing makeup you can always go to work at a department store too in cosmetics department. Those jobs are alot of fun i did that for awhile and i blew it because that job was a cake walk! Any way  live your dream! you can do it! Good Luck!

Lily