Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > any other stylist back into the field after being absent for awhile?
Posted By:
Posted By:chadfromnc_2000 on: 5/30/2009 11:53:14 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: any other stylist back into the field after being absent for awhile?
chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

any other stylist back into the field after being absent for awhile?
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:53:14 AM

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if there are any stylist out there that have come back to this field of work after being absent from the industry... Do you feel more sucessful this time around? Do you feel happier? I am getting back into the industry after I left it back in 2005... I missed the salon atmospher...

foilgirl

Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:09:12 PM
I took a break for a while and worked in office settings as an admin. I really missed working behind the chair. I was away for about 4-5 years, and I'm doing way better now than I could ever have imagined! I took a while, but I am booked solid and this year I also become an artistic educator with Matrix. My break away really made me appreciate the creativity and warmth that go with our craft. We are the ones that people trust with their secrets and with their image. Besides where else could you walk into work each day with the wildest, multi-colored hair and get a thumbs up from your boss as you walk in the door?

chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

thanks foilgirl
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 10:07:53 AM

Thanks for the reply foilgirl,

How did you get back into the field,, did you boothrent or comission??? When you were doing interviews for a job did they grill you on why you choose to leave the profession???  I'm happy to hear that you are more sucessful now then you would prob have been. I can't wait to get back into a salon.

foilgirl

Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 3:37:19 PM
I actually got into an hourly position, I started out working the front desk/assisting and gained the trust of everyone. After about 2 months they were letting me book. (If you're concerned about booth rent vs. commission it's something you need to research for your area, but some salons will let you start hourly then switch to commission after you build your clientele.)

When I was asked about my "leave" I simply told the truth. I had gotten burnt out, and felt that I needed a change, but that the artist in me could only be ignored for so long, and that I really wanted to get back into the craft.

I've actually been told by a few people that my resume positions away from a salon have made me well rounded. I worked high end retail for a spell and was a corporate administrative assistant for a bit too, my clients like that I can relate to working in the "outside" world, and I constantly pull from my outside experiences to help me and the salon I work at succeed.

Just focus on how you word your resume to make your other jobs "fit" into salon life. - Emphasize dealing with customers, or distributors,(communication skills) any computer experience,(a bonus anywhere) projects that you may have headed up,(leadership skills) even working in a warehouse or on the line (attention to detail and able to follow direction) I think you get the idea... these show the multidimensional characteristics that a well rounded stylist should possess.

After I was hired, I made sure that I let it be known I was attending every class I could and just acted like a sponge and absorbed everything that was thrown my way. I made sure to ask a lot of questions and be very respectful when I was corrected on the "correct" way things were done.

After 5 years I'm still with the same salon, and I now am a "go-to" person for corrective color issues, or for info. about new techniques. Just let them know you are more than ready to go above and beyond, but don't let them take advantage either!

When I first started out 15 years ago, I didn't have the guidance that the salon I'm in now offered, make sure that they are going to want you to succeed and that they are willing to help you. I could not ask for a better staff to work with, they have been a HUGE reason why I've done so much better this time around!

I wish you all the luck in the world!!! -jen

YSLGuy

Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:43:37 PM

I was a stlylist and makeup artist for over ten years, but have been out of the salon for ten years now. I have been working in retail as a makeup artist, but now I want to get back into the salon/spa environment as a MUA and hair stylist.

My dream is to get back into a salon, build up clientele, and open my own place in a few years.