Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > What now?
Posted By:
Posted By:scdg73 on: 6/4/2009 12:08:27 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: What now?
scdg73

What now?
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 12:08:27 PM
I have been working for the same salon for three years. I have some regulars and I also do walk in's.
Lately within the past three months I have had some redos. My boss called me into the back room and said I had a man come back and say I hacked his hair and some women also who didn't like their haircuts. When I ask my boss to tell me who the clients are and to tell me what I did wrong she can't or says the haircut was the worst she's ever seen. I don't know what to say. I need to see what I did wrong to know how to fix it. Also, I told her maybe I need some cutting classes, but she won't pay for them and I don't have the money to pay for them. What do I do? I do have a business degree and am good with people. I think I am good with coloring and Highlights and also styling. I just don't know what to do in this economy. I can't just leave because I don't have another job but I'm sick of being put down. What now?

kare34235

try to not be so hard on yourself..
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 3:27:52 PM
..sat. was my last day at a chain salon and i had a few from the mananger to fix ..i never told her as i think the cut was good and i think i was an ear for the ones that complained and needed a counsler instead..

pixanne
Platinum Member

if you are good at color
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 7:13:29 PM

why not do just color, and not cutting?go with your strengths, and maybe somewhere down the line you can take classes or get some instructional dvd's on cutting. turn it around into a positive.

shorthairedgirl
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 6:57:48 PM
i can't believe that a manager would do that! Their supposed to be there to help. she sounds like no help at all. She's atleast supposed to tell you what you did wrong. Try getting some haircutting dvds i have alot of them, they are very helpful especially if you can't afford to go to a haircutting class. Good Luck to you.

Lily 

russnyc
Platinum Member

Redos
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 9:20:39 AM
More than 3 redos in a month is cause for alarm with cuts. My advice is that you are cutting too much off, and to cut about half as much as you think you should.

One GREAT guide for men is to simply look at the back of the neck. However much hair has grown back is exactly how much you need to cut off UNLESS the last cut was too short or they are a "2 weeker".

Some other advice I wish someone gave me when I started out- Get your eyes checked. If you can't see the client clearly when looking in a mirror you have a problem. DO NOT use magnifying glasses, just spend the money properly and get glasses.

Your boss DOES NOT need to document the clients complaints as you are a reflection of the salon. Rather, YOU should be affirming each and every customer's satisfaction before they leave. It will also show in your tips.

Business degrees mean absolutely nothing in our industry, I would suggest you quickly get off your high horse of education because perhaps it is irritating your boss.

Greet people kindly, thank people warmly, shake hands, make sure your appearance is clean and breath smells good, and keep a close eye on your retention. If you are unsure, go right ahead and repeat the consultation until you ARE certain.

None of this requires a degree of any kind.

As for color, stick with what you know, learn what you don't, and take your clients into GRADUAL change. If you are uncertain, take a refresher course or wiki online about the laws of haircolor and do faceframe highlights or use a gloss to make subtle yet impactful to THEM. Keep all that hairshow stuff in your head, not on theirs!

Finally, DO NOT go defensive on your boss- rather be open minded and accept critique gracefully. It's the quickest way to lose your job not to listen to those that have a full book. Shadow someone who is booked all day long and you will see what I mean.

Good Luck!

Russ H. Colorist at the Roy Teeluck Salon 57th & Madison Avenue, Manhattan NYC "There are no ugly women, only lazy ones." -Helena Rubenstein

scdg73

What Now?
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 10:25:21 AM
I would like to thank everyone for their advice. I've asked one of the girls who has been cutting hair for twenty plus years to mentor me. I have also been watching videos on-line of haircutting in the areas that I have been having problems with.

I however, would like to respond to russnyc. I never have thrown my business degree in my bosses face. I have never brought it up to her I simply said that because I'm wondering if I should maybe do something different in the field.

Second, I love input I don't however like being attacked and called names. Simply explain to me what I did wrong and I will be happy to work on it as it is my reputation also on the line. This lady has called me retarded in front of my co-workers because she thinks I comb the hair too much. I had a request and she told her "oh you don't want her she's not that good". The customer came to see me to let me know. That is not good business. If your employees need help they need help putting them down is not constructive criticism. If I am such a horrible Hairstylist why am I still employed by her?

I am friendly and open with my clients. I always show them the haircut when finished and ask them if they like it. The redoes that come back have even said she's so sweet we didn't want to say anything. I just need help in short older women haircuts and men's fades. If you know of any good web sights, videos, and or books, please let me know. Thank you all for your advice it's much appreciated. scdg73