Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > special pricing for non-tippers
Posted By:
Posted By:scissorfiend on: 6/10/2009 8:14:26 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: special pricing for non-tippers
scissorfiend

special pricing for non-tippers
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:14:26 AM
I'm starting to attract a new type of client. You would probably think in this type of economy that I'm a moron for complaining about any new referrals. But this situation is killing my business. I own my salon for 8 years. Recently, the new clients being referred are not tipping me. I've read all the etiquette stories on line that I could about this. I'm sorry, I don't agree with not tipping the owner unless your going to pay $200 for a haircut, I believe a tip is part of a clients appreciation for a job well done. Now, with new clients not tipping I've got a huge issue. I need to raise prices so that my bills get paid. However, I don't want the people who tip to suffer a price increase for the sake of a 2 dozen cheapskates. And they are in my opinion. They come here explaining they used to go to a salon I worked at years ago and paid twice what they are paying me for cut and color. What do you think if I make a new price menu for the clients who don't tip and any new that come in the future. I could tell my tipping clients that they are getting a VIP rate?? Keeping their prices the same and only raising the new non tippers.

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:57:03 AM

well, if they are that cheap, they'll probably stop coming to you altogether.many clients believe that it is not neccessary to tip the owner, since theoretically he or she is getting 50 percent of all revenue that comes in the door.but i'm on your side! everyone should be tipped for services rendered,from the shampoo assistant to the colorist to the stylist.regardless of whether they are the owner or not.i just don't think raising prices just for the cheapies will help your cashflow in the long run!

i've noticed a decrease in my tips as people try to cut corners wherever they can,sadly.i've also noticed that when the prices increase, the first place it comes out is my tips, until the client adjusts over the next few visits.

you could raise your prices across the board and 'grandfather ' your long time clients, but trying to weed out just the non tippers is a little dicey.

i guess you'll have to keep it a secret that you own the place from now on!!!

scissorfiend

Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:55:09 AM
Well first, I'm the only hairstylist in my licensed hair salon and its located in a home, zoned for business use. I live upstairs....so there's no hiding that I own the place. I just think sometimes because your the owner people think that its not etiquette to tip the owner because we've got guys in NYC (who charge $300 or more for a haircut) are out there being quoted saying its unnecessary to tip the owner and he never accepts a tip. Well if I was getting $300 for a haircut I wouldn't expect a tip either. The definition of tip is "a gift on money given to someone who provides you with a service". It doesn't say "except the owner of course." I mean when you get in a cab, do you ask the driver if he owns the cab and then not tip him if he does? Do you go to a restaurant and ask the waitress if her family owns the restaurant. I'm thinking these new clients were paying double for the hair before coming here and I give the same service with just a little less hype. Hopefully they stay with me.

pixanne
Platinum Member

okaaaay
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:12:20 PM
i did say i was on your side.good luck.

scissorfiend

sorry
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:18:52 PM
Just venting. I wasn't directing it at anyone. I realize you're on my side. But I wonder if there are any solutions for a situation like this. A friend of mine told me to raise prices across the board 15% and start telling people that it is now unnecessary to tip since some people do and some don't. That way I get what I want for a service and no hard feelings for anyone with paying different prices.

pixanne
Platinum Member

sounds good
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:31:47 PM

that might work, and your nice people may just keep on tippin'.

Trey
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:42:03 PM

In my salon, we don't have a price list. We have a service list. All of our prices are fit to the client. A woman who has very thin hair and takes 15 minutes to cut, is charged much less than a woman with thick hair who takes an hour.  This is where a computer comes in handy because you can keep track of who you charge what.

Same with color, perms, blow drys... It also helps with not having to print a new price list every so often! 

Tell the new clients that their price is X. You could always adjust on their next visit if they tip well, and tell them that since they came back, as a thank you their new price is XX.

da_luckiest_one

Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:40:09 PM
I know what you mean about the non-tipping. It hurts me too because I use a lot in tips and now i'm getting much less. On the other hand, i'm glad that people are still coming to me, so i'll take a non-tipper just as long as they come back.

Salon at Ulta
Mall of Louisiana Blvd
Baton Rouge, LA

heatherdazy
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:54:01 PM
Wow. I can't believe you are even discussing this. A tip is a gift-- you shouldn't expect to get one every time, especially as the owner. If your prices are so low that you can't survive or do well without your tips, then it sounds like raising your prices across the board might be a good idea.

Or if you're the passive aggressive type, you could print a tip line on your credit card receipts and have the receptionist ask if everything in the service was okay if they leave nothing.

scissorfiend

I strongly disagree
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:08:01 AM
yes, a tip is a gift. I disagree with not expecting one as an owner. I didn't find that exception to the rule in the definition. I don't have any other stylists working in my salon. So I'm not getting a piece of everyone else's action. I've concluded that unless your an owner you are absolutely uneducated and misinformed on the overhead of running a salon. I don't make anymore as an owner than I did working as an employee. If you are wowed by the fact that I am even discussing tips, you not very compassionate. This is a forum for DISCUSSION where people come to find solutions for issues that we all deal with. Thanks for all the ideas. The end result is a new price menu for clients increasing prices 15% and on the menu will be a statement that "Tips are greatly appreciated and will be graciously accepted. And if I ever feel inclined to use this board again, I'll hope and pray to not offend anyone with my topic.

keiferkat
Bronze Member

Adjust your pricing
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:49:54 AM
I am a salon owner. I do get tips. Some people will not tip no matter what you do. If you can't pay your bills then you need to raise prices. Go up on the new people first. Go up 5-10 percent across the board. Print up a price sheet and put it at the front desk. If someone says you went up say yes I did. Even going up a dollar will net you 100 dollars or better in a month. I do have a credit card with a tip line. It helps.

khgrant

We are hairstylists not waitresses
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:53:59 PM

I realize I am probably gonna get nailed here but..... I am a salon owner and while I agree with the you should tip the owner as well as the stylists.... actually the owner probably deserve it the most.

However... We get paid for what we do.. unlike other occupations that rely on tips we get paid for what we do and tipping should be the clients choice and we should not expect

anniedooday

Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:46:11 PM

Before I became a stylist there was a salon I loved to go to in Portland OR. They did not allow tipping, and would never accept one no matter what. There prices were already factored at what they deserved to be paid. It actually made it kind of nice to take that pressure off of what you should tip. They way I look at it is, I would rather someone not tip me than go to someone cheaper or better yet go to the drug store and get their own color. Times are difficult for many people right now we are lucky to have the clients, especially new referrals. The reason waitress' recieve tips is because they make $2.15 an hour not $50-100.

shorthairedgirl
Bronze Member

fine then
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 6:19:07 AM

Raise you prices to twice as much and hopefully they wont come back! no but seriously raise your prices and explain that times are tough for you as well. I agree with you I think everyone deserves to be tipped. Alot of weeks I live off of my tips so believe me I understand! Good Luck!

Lily 

scissorfiend

Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 6:56:55 AM
no, we aren't waitress' and we don't get $2.15 an hour but thats not why you tip them. You tip them because they are a service provider and you enjoyed the service. And I don't make $50-$100 an hour. And I doubt that the average hairstylist does. Maybe if we did we wouldn't be griping about the lack of tips.

sizzor

Tipping
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 9:21:20 AM
Tipping should NEVER be expected from any client.
Do I appreciate tips? Of Course, but I NEVER and I repeat NEVER expect a client to tip me.

Those of us here who depend on the tips for our living expenses need to rethink our pricing.
I have several client's who do not tip, one wears a $10,000.00 Rolex. Probably why she can afford it.
She's a non tipper, however I appreciate in these tough times (I'm in SE Lower MI and i'm sure you have all heard about the auto companies) that my client's are still coming to see me.
I think it would be wrong and unprofessional of you to charge non tippers a different price, I do think, however, that raising your prices for client's that you have accumulated say since...........Oh Jan 1, 2009 and since would be ok and rewarding your long standing clients with your current pricing till say.......Jan 1, 2010 then all pricing will be the same, so as to keep things easier for you.

Trying to be reasonable and professional.
Sizz

heatherdazy
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 6:29:42 PM
Apologies if I came across as harsh.

foilgirl

Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:27:07 PM
I agree with Sizz, I too live in SE Lower Michigan, and am just glad for every client that sits in my chair... At least they haven't left the state (like many other clients have)

Also, if we are passionate about our craft we should be viewing ourselves as artists. Viewing our craft as a way to share our creativity to the world instead of viewing it as a job, will also help keep everything in perspective as well.

How many tips do you think Rembrant or Monet received while they were alive?

Sure we don't need to be starving artists, but when you have a passion for your craft the people see it, feel it, and hopefully will show their appreciation for it, maybe with a tip or with a referral... either way they keep us working

I know that if I can make someone feel better through my services, I'm happy and feel like I accomplished something through my talents. Sometimes non-monetary thanks (like a truly heartfelt hug) are more fulfilling than a couple of bucks.... (and more meaningful too)

sizzor

Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:05:33 AM
Hey foilgirl,
I'm in Plymouth, are you nearby?
Sizz

foilgirl

Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:30:43 PM
hi sizz

just down 275 from you - in Flat Rock - slightly north of Monroe, and a little southeast of the airport... things should pick up a little for us, the big three are about to do shutdown, and before they hit 75 north, they are stopping in...been doing a lot of kids and color this week.... I've noticed that it seems to be 1 week swamped then 1 week with scattered bookings... how 'bout up your way? (I'm also a Matrix educator and been hearing the same thing from other salons in the area as well) -jen