Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > I need help from the more experienced...
Posted By:
Posted By:Tenshi on: 6/15/2009 11:45:54 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: I need help from the more experienced...
Tenshi

I need help from the more experienced...
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 11:45:54 AM
I have been having problems and feeling attacked and picked on in my salon. I have been there for almost 4 years. I started just after high school and went through an apprenticeship program where
I signed an agreement that they would pay for my school if I agreed to work for them for a period of time after receiving my licence. Since getting my licence I have still been treated like an apprentice, not a full time stylist like my contract says. There are girls there who have only been there a year and are treated better than me. I show up for work on time and am doing my best to stay busy and build my clientele. One of the problems I think is that through doing my apprenticeship I discovered that I have an increadible talent and love for doing nails and nail art. I believe that shines through to my clients and as a result, I have built most of my clients as nail clients. I know my boss does not like me doing nails. He has made comments to this effect and all my coworkers notice he is annoyed when I am booked with nails. As a result (of this and verious other things) I have been feeling very uncomfortable at this salon. I have decided to start looking for another salon. I have found one that seems like it is a good fit and exactly what I have been looking for. It has been implied previously that should I leave it would be an uncomfortable experience. Especially with the contract in effect. I guess what I'm looking for is advice on how to leave. How do I notify my boss that I am leaving? What is the correct procedure to notify my clients? How much notice should I give? I guess my biggest question is what is the best way to handle this situation?
~I'm not a hairdresser...I'm an under-paid psycologist!~

heatherdazy
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 3:53:47 PM
If your salon offers nails and allows employees to crossover and do both types of services, then why would your boss have a problem with this...?

gd
Gold Member

Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:57:56 PM
You are in a difficult situation. Leaving could not only be uncomfortable, it could be very costly. You and any salon you go to work in, could be sued if you break your contract. You could be forced to repay the salon for any costs they have paid for ALL of your education and any loss of profits from your leaving. This is a situation where I would advise you to contact an attorney and get clear information and advice before doing anything.