Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Going in circles!
Posted By:
Posted By:i<3pomps on: 6/22/2009 10:35:08 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Going in circles!
i<3pomps

Going in circles!
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 10:35:08 AM

I have been in the industry for going on 12 years now. I am currently booth renting and I work with 7 other stylist. I am following the same time guidelines that I always have with scheduling my clients. But now, for whatever reason I seem to always stay behind. I have started over analyzing all my work and it feels like I am in slow motion. About 75% of my clientel is Color and I am also a SoCap Extensionist. It feels like I am getting distracted by other stylist with color questions as well as random clients (even in other stylists chairs) wanting to talk about extensions.

I have started keeping my own book so I can monitor my scheduling. We just have a salon phone and individual stylist don't have their own lines. This is not an option and has always worked out until now. I am using my cell phone as my line, but also get calls on the salon phone.

I use Wella Koleston Perfect, so my processing on grey is 40 min. I have always followed that time and a great friend/co-worker said I could cut my time to help me. I just cant bring myself to do that. Simply because I don't feel like I get the coverage needed.

I am young eventhough I have been in the industry for a while. I am "different" then the other stylist in that I am adventurious and have no limitations, have advanced ability compared to most here in my small town and I target a whole different clientel. This is why they come to me about everything. ...I love being there to help. I would teach given the oppertunity. I just don't have the time.

Someone please tell me they have been in the same boat! I am making customers mad being behind and I can see it happening but the more I try to get caught up the slower I get. I just feel like I'm drowning!!!! Please help!!

pixanne
Platinum Member

try to focus
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 12:38:57 PM

try to stay focused on what YOU are doing behind the chair, not what everyone else is doing. book yourself a 15 minute break every now and then to catch up with yourself. the benefit of booking yourself is that you can decide how heavily booked you want to be. trying to cram everybody into one day when you can't make it happen is a recipe for upset clients. you have the control over what you do and don't do more than an employee who gets booked by a receptionist, take advantage of your freedom!

you could use a bubble steamer to accelerate your processing time or use drops in the mix, if that is truly where the problem is.

don't let people come up and take your attention away from the person in your chair,tell them you would be happy to see them when you are not with a client.when it is their turn in the chair, they will appreciate the undivided attention.

you just need to take control of the situation, so you don't get all frazzled.

heatherdazy
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 5:52:53 PM
40 min processing time is great! When I have clients that need to process for grey (45 min in my color line), I offer them a discount to book their husband, teenager, friend, etc in that time slot.

You'll either get a new client or, if you already do their friend, that's one less timeslot you'll have to scramble around.

I know people don't like the word 'discount', but what's the point of sitting on your butt every time your color is processing when you've got so many clients?

i<3pomps

Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 6:57:35 PM

Thanks for the input. I have been thinking of marking a 15 min break. I am also bad for not booking myself for a lunch. I usually try to get it in when I have a color processing.

Offering a discount is a great idea too. I hate overlapping appointments with people that don't know eachother. Unless I know they are pretty laid back.

Keep the comments coming, I really need a view from all angles :)