Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > can this be?
Posted By:
Posted By:hairdodawnie on: 6/24/2009 9:14:51 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: can this be?
hairdodawnie

can this be?
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:14:51 PM
was asked to honor a promotion where I do  styles for free. No Commision or houlry pay for those clients. Is this right? Can they do this?

heatherdazy
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:36:22 PM
No, they have to pay you, unless you are a renter, in which case you are free to tell them to take their promo and shove it.

hairdodawnie

Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:59:25 AM

is there a law? Where can I find this?  I worked in the same salon for 9 years , I ready to rip my hair out!

gd
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 4:28:49 PM
The key word here is "asked". Were you asked to participate in a promotion or are you required to participate? If you were asked, you have the right to refuse, making it your choice. If you are required to participate, you must be paid. The law you are looking for is the federal labor laws. An employer cannot require an employee to work for free. If the salon owner wishes to give away free services, they may do so. But the stylist performing the work must be paid for doing the services. If the salon owner is doing a promotion to help get new clients, this is a good thing. But, if the stylists are being expected to do free services, this is something that should be agreed upon by everyone.