Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Advice on to leave salon or not
Posted By:
Posted By:pmstylist8 on: 7/29/2009 10:01:51 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Advice on to leave salon or not
pmstylist8

Advice on to leave salon or not
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:01:51 AM
I work in a small town salon with 4 other women and have been there 4 months, my problem is for the last month and half i have been getting vibes from the owner and 2 other stylists that they don't want me there, the owner constantly complains about her life and talks about it to everyone and she constantly brings up her failing marriage and her boyfriends constantly come up to the shop and well you figure out the rest, the other stylist who has been there for 7 years well she likes to talk about her bf and what they do, and going to the beach all the time and both of them always bring there kids up there and they constantly run around on scooters and etc. The other stylist well thats another story, The other one is pregnant so me and her get along good. We both get left out and that don't bother me but it bothers me that i get treated like crap, i don't want to leave because i want to build my clientele but feel i can't because there's a lot of time when they give walkins to the other girl and im just sitting down not doing anything. Please give me your advice i need it.

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:16:10 AM
if there are any salons with more foot traffic, or more opportunities for you to build a following,you might want to look into changing salons. this sounds like a 'shop' environment where everybody is settled in to their groove with their clients, not a lot of new things going on.plus, if you were busier, you wouldn't have to listen to anyone elses' boring stories! it sounds like you don't like the people you are working with too much.there are so many more ways to be happy!find it!

pmstylist8

thanx
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:31:33 AM
It's not fun anymore there and we used to be busy but the recession has hit us hard. Thank you for your advice

russnyc
Platinum Member

Not so quick to leave...
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:10:55 AM
My advice would be to stay put, grow some roots, and truly find a way to work with the others to make the salon shine. Your professionalism WILL rub off but it does take time... you are only the "new girl" for so long...

You make things more professional by acting professional yourself. If you absorb negativity it's because you're letting others take the stage.

Focus inside of your customer interactions, make their experience special.

Here's how I handle other's negativity-

Brought a bunch of sunflowers to work and gave all the girls one.

Split two piece of Red Velvet cake midday with coffee.

Brought a bag of fruit ($2) left it in back room for people.

Let people finish talking.

Cleaned the color bowls for the assistant.

Ask about their weekend first.

See, the truth is that you're not going to find the "ultimate" busy salon, there really is no ultimate salon with tons of clients banging down the doors right now. People are spending their money DIFFERENTLY, and you've got to roll with it.

Spend extra time making client comfortable

Resolve issues quickly

Spend some extra time chairside and out of the back room

Follow up with a thank you card and an incentive for them to come back.

Change the conversation if it becomes depressing.

There's other ways I will add too.
Russ H.
Colorist at the Roy Teeluck Salon
57th & Madison Avenue, Manhattan NYC

"There are no ugly women, only lazy ones."
-Helena Rubenstein