Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > not sure what to do
Posted By:
Posted By:r styles on: 8/14/2009 12:02:31 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: not sure what to do
r styles

not sure what to do
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 12:02:32 PM
I am a salon owner and a couple months ago I got a phone call from another salon 32 miles from my home town asking me to come in and work for them because their stylist hurt her shoulder.  they asked me if i had done this before and if so what was the agreement with the other salon.  I had done this, and the agreement was a 60/40.  so i go over there and work on said agreement, and have been there for a little over 2 months.  The owners of the salon do not do hair, they basically just own the building and do my schedule, which is a terrible idea!  but anyways, i have had an issue every week from the time i started there, whether it be from the scheduling to not having the supplies (combs!) that i need to do the job.  so everything has been building on me and I have basically stayed because i love the clientelle, but this last week i went in to work and when i left and got my check it had a $15 supplies fee.  never once was this discussed or even brought up so i had never even heard of it until i opened my check.  im not sure what to do, but i know thats not right and that she should have at least discussed this with me. so my question is how would i go about quitting in a nice way, while at the same time telling them that they cant do something like that and ever expect a stylist to stay?  any advice would be fantastic!  thankyou!

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 7:31:20 PM
i would say what you just posted- that the product charge was not discussed, and that you wouldn't have agreed to come over and help them out if you'd known that they would be gouging your commission. ask when the injured person will be returning, and give them a time frame that you will be staying on to cover that person- if they give you the commission that was originally discussed.for the last 2 months, was the charge taken out of all of your checks, or just this one time?i would point it out as a mistake on their part, because you can't just start chipping away at someones check like that without telling them first.

r styles

Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 2:23:54 PM
the injured lady is not returning, she went in and quit and took all her stuff out of the salon one night because it wasnt working out for her there anymore either.  so maybe that was something they had pulled with her, i dont know because ive never met her.  I think i will be quitting on monday because its not worth the drama & i could be putting the time that im giving them into my own salon to make it better!  so it will be a good thing in the long run, i just dont know how to go about it in a nice way because i dont want to leave on bad terms since its within 32 miles of mine, i dont want them to have any reason to say anything bad about me or my business. and the supply fee was just taken out of this one check, without notice.

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 9:12:35 PM

just tell them that you didn't appreciate the way that they sprung the charges on you. and you do have your own business to think about and tend to.the only way to 'be nice' about it is to give 2 weeks notice.it's not what you signed up for, and unnacceptable terms.

good luck!