Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > 4th week as an assistant and starting to not be happy
Posted By:
Posted By:chadfromnc_2000 on: 9/17/2009 8:27:36 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: 4th week as an assistant and starting to not be happy
chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

4th week as an assistant and starting to not be happy
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:27:36 AM

Hello Beautiful People,

so this is my forth week of being an assistant and im starting to see things i dont like. the stylist/owner that im assisting keeps saying he want me proficent at shampooing and that its going to take me awhile to shampoo like he wants.. Now i have worked at some salon before and even in school i was always told i give great shampoos and even was requested for them. Just because i dont do every movement just like the owner doesnt mean im doing it wrong...  Also i have mostly been working on manniqueens, he doesnt really let me assist and work with him on a client. (isnt that what im suppose to be doing) i dont mind the other task that i do such as laundry, working front desk, sweeping etc. I know thats part of being an assistant. however i dont know if im a match for the owner/stylist and his OCD attitude that every movement has to be just like his, Plus i watch how he handles the boothrenters. and its almost like he tells them what to do or what they shouldnt do. one stylist wanted someting punky with a pink color and the boothrenter and client were discussing it and then owner follows stylist to color bar and tells the styist they dont do that kind of color here. and try to talk the stylist into giving the client something less dramitic, needless to say the client didnt like the end result cause it was not what she wanted in the first place.  its almost like the boothrenters work for him too. i dont think i would ever want to boothrent from him when time comes...

ideamaned

Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:00:09 PM
This owner is fussy and has difficulty giving up control.  Every detail is critically important to this person and he has to be involved with it all. Hmm... If I were in your line of work, I'm not sure if I could handle working under a person like that.

chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

thanks ideamaned
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 7:28:09 AM

thanks,

i do have a intervew at Ulta salons this Monday. Im just worried about getting back into a chain. it took my awhile to find the pvt salon im in now. but its such a stressful enviroment i dont think its worth it.

ideamaned

Be strategic about how you leave.
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 9:46:52 PM

<but its such a stressful enviroment i dont think its worth it.>

From what you write, I would say the hell with it. You and that salon are just not a good match. HOWEVER, a potential employer might not like seeing that you abandon ship so quickly. I think shopping around for a different salon is okay. But don't quit until you've got something lined up. For now, learn all that you can from your current employer. Soak it up like a sponge. And know that the stressful times will be short-lived.

chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

thanks I got
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 7:53:29 AM

Thanks ideamaned,

I got a interview on Monday with Ulta which is about 10 minutes from where i live. Im just not happy at the salon im at now, the owner creates a very stressful environement. he does have control issues, I know that its his salon but he seems to like to dominate everyone there.. I feel sorry for the receptionist., he told her not to really talk to his clients besides the initial Hello and goodbye. (can yo believe that). Also he was wanting me to work with the receptionist some so i could take over when shes out. but  booking for him looked hard, he has clients that cant be in the same room as another client cause they dont get along. or so on and so on. very time consuming to book someone for him it looked like.  so much Drama.

i prob will never list that experience on a resume. 

Remy Blue
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 8:27:35 PM

Poor Receptionist... lol... but as far as ur initial thread i understand both sides... I am the same way about my assistants and other stylists shampooing 4 me... u have 2 shampoo my hair right(whats right 2 me) b4 u can shampoo my clients)... u may be doing a good shampoo but its just not how i want/like it done... and i don't let anyone roll, wrap or blowdry my clients unless its 2 my standards... in the end its about my clients satisfaction and they like how i do things; thats what keeps them coming back...

it sounds as if that isn't the salon 4 u, but learn all u can while ur there... even if u learn what not 2 do and how to not treat people

chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

offered a job at Ulta and taking it
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:48:27 AM

Hello,

I got offered a job at Ulta and am exicted about taking it. I can't wait to learn about the Redkin line,. especally the color line. Everyone there seems so nice from what ive seen so far, and the salon manager is really nice and seems like she will be pleasent to work around. I was nervous at first for going back into a chain salon but Ulta is kinda differnt from the others. and the manager says that its a great place to build a following. they only thing i dont really care for is the black and white dress code but oh well... ohh and no im not required to stock shelevs. she said if im  bored and want to help out around the salon area i can but only if i want to help the sales associates out. which i prob will because i like to be nice :-)

ideamaned

Congratulations Chad!
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:55:41 AM
Good for you! I'm glad you took that initiative and were successful so quickly at finding a new home. Very impressive... I wonder how your old boss is taking the news? :)

chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

Thank Ideamaned
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:06:34 AM

Thank Ideamaned,

Im really exicted about the new salon and getting to work with redkin color line! I have been on the Redkin site alot learning info on the products :-)