Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > working at Ulta?
Posted By:
Posted By:chadfromnc_2000 on: 9/18/2009 1:50:31 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: working at Ulta?
chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

working at Ulta?
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 1:50:31 PM

Hello,

just wondering if anyone on here has ever worked for Ulta or heard anything about them. I have a interview for them on monday and the manager seems very nice! was wondering how therepay scale or dress code was? I heard you only have to work a 30hr work  week to get benefts

da_luckiest_one

Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 9:11:57 PM
I work at Ulta in Baton Rouge and I love it there! The pay might be a bit different where you are, but the salon here will pay you the higher of hourly or commission. You start at levels, which you most likely will start at Designer 1 w/ a commission of 40%, and as you grow your clientele and your numbers go up, you will level jump to a 2 and get more money. The hourly pay here is $8/hr, but since working there i haven't got hourly pay.

Dress code is black or white shirt, and black pants. Depending on what event is going on, the dress code will change a lil but thats the basic codes.

If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

~ Sarah!

Salon at Ulta
Mall of Louisiana Blvd
Baton Rouge, LA

chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

Thanks sarah I do have a few more ?
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 7:42:41 AM

Thanks Sarah,

I do have a few more ?'s abour Ulta.

First what is their training like and how long? are they great with working with beginner stylsit?

Oh is there a time limit on services. like at other chains. I hope not, please tell me they dont have you doing 15 min or less hair cuts!  

when your not with a client do they have you stocking shevles and working with the rest of the sales associates?

Im not crazy about the black and white dress code. kinda cheesy to me. do they make you wear smocks also???

i heard that you can get beneifts if only working 30 hrs at least, Im exicted about that. :-)

Thanks for all your help Sarah,

da_luckiest_one

Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 10:05:26 AM
Your first few days allow you to watch training dvds on how Ulta wants you to handle customer service and how to use Redken color. I believe they are great with beginning stylist because the salon works on a mentor-like basis; your salon manager is there to help you with anything you struggle with.

No time limits! :-)

With the stocking shelves thing, at my store it's not required for you to do it but I feel most of the retail people do not do it properly so i'll do some, but it's not a job requirement.

Dress code: we have to wear Ulta aprons but that's just to set you apart as a team member because people will come in from other companies for training.

Lastly, the company changed the benefits to where you are able to get benefits even if you work less than 30 hrs.

~ Sarah!

Salon at Ulta
Mall of Louisiana Blvd
Baton Rouge, LA

chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

thanks again sarah
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 6:11:50 PM

Thanks again Sarah,

tomorrow I go do a techinal im going to do a cute bob on my manniqueen and then the manager said she'd like to see me do some highlights. I have never worked with Redkin before so im kinda nervous about that, but cant wait to learn that new line.. the manager seems Ulta nice (pum intended) and says she has already been telling the girls about me. Hey what kind of shears do you use. i went into cosmo pro the other day and looked at some Rocket dog shears. i dont know what brand and price range to get for a pair of shears to start out with.

da_luckiest_one

Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 10:03:30 PM
I get my scissors from Washi but i'll admit that i'm a snob about tools lol! I heard from other stylists that those are good scissors.

Oh, one thing I can tell you about Redken color is to go over to their website and it has all kinds of info and tidbits about how to use it. You'll find it interesting.

Good luck & let me know how things go! :-)

Salon at Ulta
Mall of Louisiana Blvd
Baton Rouge, LA

mickaylal

Bonika
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 11:24:28 PM
I got some great bonkia shears swivel thumb, and texturizing shears for 325 for the set. I have had them for a couple months and love them. I dont know how I ever lived without the texturizing shears. Thats a pretty good deal, because the normal price is 500 for both. I can get you in touch with my shear guy if ya want.

chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

i got the Ulta job sarah
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 4:01:11 PM
I got the Ulta job Sarah, i cant believe how nice all the girls were today,. i even met the GM and she was sweet.  i did a bob haircut and some foil highlights for the technical test, i love the redkin color. it had amazing lift with no orange!!! it worked fast witha  20 volume too, i was really impressed.. im supposeto start work this sat.and she said i will be mentoring the other stylist. there are 5 there so far... i cant wait!!!

da_luckiest_one

Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:05:07 PM
Excellent! Congrats on the job! I think you will really enjoy it there!

Redken color is pretty cool to use, although I'm not too fond of their reds. Their color has a tan background to it so it makes it a lot easier to use.

Salon at Ulta
Mall of Louisiana Blvd
Baton Rouge, LA

chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

I forgot to ask you
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:03:32 AM

Hey,

i forgot to ask you Sarah if there are any stylist at your salon that prefrom the kertin complex. We are suppose to be getting certified at our salon.  have heard from people on the boards talking about the horrible smells and fumes from it? have you experienced any of it? 

da_luckiest_one

Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:31:32 PM
My store is only a year old, so we just recently (this past week) got all of the Keratin things in. Our trainer Nicole LOVES it. Also, i'm sure it couldn't be any worse than a permanent wave solution. To be honest, I think it'll be great for Louisiana b/c the humidity here is a monster. I'll let you know what I think of it once we do training and models.

Salon at Ulta
Mall of Louisiana Blvd
Baton Rouge, LA

da_luckiest_one

Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 3:30:29 PM
Hey Chad! How are you liking Ulta?

Salon at Ulta
Mall of Louisiana Blvd
Baton Rouge, LA

chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

Hey sarah
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 12:46:28 AM

Hey Sarah,

the manager kept putting me off whenever i tried to get it touch with her to see when she would like me to start, she first told me she would call on a certain day and if i didnt hear from her to call her. well i didnt and i finally got in touch with her a few days later and she said she was sorry she just got busy and her daughter had hit a deer and that she would call me back on a certain day and when the day came she never called... oh well i got a interview wiht JCPennys Salon tomorrow. I will see how that goes. hope you had a good weekend :-)

Chad 

chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

anyone worked for JC Penny Salon
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 12:51:06 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have a interview with the JC PEnnys salon tomorrow. Does anyone have any info they can share about working for their salon?  i hear they have good education but im kinda turned off how the salon is tucked in the back of the store almost like it was a afterthought!