Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > hmmm got a bad feeling about JCPenny salon already
Posted By:
Posted By:chadfromnc_2000 on: 10/11/2009 2:00:40 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: hmmm got a bad feeling about JCPenny salon already
chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 2:00:40 PM

got2Bred

jcpenny
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 10:36:42 PM
i did not work there, but I know someone who did, and she didn't like it. She did not make much money and they didn't do a lot of educational training. Personally, I would not think a place would even considering hiring someone without a seeing a demo..as a manager, I would not. Be careful, make sure you understand your pay and ask about ongoing education..there are MANY places out there to consider. Good luck!
treat your job like your hobbie, and you'll always love what you do!

chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

thanks got2bred
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 11:20:44 AM

thanks got2bred ,

i just got a call today from the salon manager saying that she would like for me to met the store manager tomorrow at 4....i mean at least its a job till i find somehting better i suppose.. i live in a small town and alot of salons are pvt and they are either booth rent or commission and they want you to have existing cliental which i have none since im jsut getting back into the industry..  the pay i will get is eith 7.25 or commission whichever is greater.. and  get a 25 percent disount on the store, plus they train once a month at another location thats paid for. at least i might take away something from their training classes and make a little money. i just think of it as a learn while i earn place :-)

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 12:09:41 PM

chad, don't be intimidated about doing ethnic hair! i have a friend whose entire clientele is 'ethnic', he is caucasian, and he makes unbelievable money, in fact he opened his own place this year, and every single client followed him.when you excel at something, you are irreplaceable.

petey

jcp
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:04:16 PM

Chad, don't be discouraged-that salon & mgr. might not be a good fit for you, but don't think that is JCP. I have been with the co. for 13 years, & managed for 9. I wish I would have started sooner. It is a great place to begin & also a great place to STAY! education is provided 3 times a month, your store discount is 20%, you will be shown how to grow your business, and retain it. The pay plan is the best in the industry-no "carrots" in front of your nose. 401k, paid time off, medical, dental, life, disability, who else in our industry does this? Yes, it is this easy-you just need to find the place that fits YOU. As I'm sure you have heard, its all about what you are willing to do for yourself. Good luck, & let me know if I can help You!

chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

Thanks Petey can you
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:12:36 PM

Thanks Petey,

I just had my second interview at JCP this time with the store manager and I really liked her.  she seemed to like me and told  me that she will get back in touch with the salon manager to set up a technical test...... so hopefully i wll be able to take that soon....  can you tell me some of the classes that you have done for JCP and is it easy to make comission. im just now returning to th field so i need some great continueing education.

petey

jcp
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:39:46 PM

Chad,

an average month of classes (3 per month) would include usually 2 hands-on cut or color or both. We are lucky to have matrix educators readily available to us! the 3rd class will usually pertain to building your business, keys to client loyalty, etc. More of a round-table type format, they are great.  it is easy to make commision if you work hard! (I did my 1st week) Don't say "no", have open availability (willing to work any day, any shift) I have found that to be an important key-be available for your clients, not when its convenient for YOU! ;-) your manager can tell you when the high-traffic times are in that salon-work then! (we have reports we can pull to give us that info) don't sweat the "practical" interview, they will just want to see where you are strong, and where you may have opportunites! you can do it!

got2Bred4r

jcp
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:09:22 PM
glad you seemed to have found a good place...my friend didn't like it, but after reading the thread, seems like it will be a good start back into the business for you...good luck! and Matrix is a good color line, I use it everyday at our salon...so any questions, just shoot....

treat your job like a hobbie and you'll love what you do!

chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

thanks for all the info
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:01:42 AM

Thanks for all the info.

when i worked my first salon job back in 2005 it was for Reigs (YIKES I KNOW) and their idea of education was popping in  dvd and haveing u sign a paper stateing you watched it...so im ready for some hands on.