Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Need Feedback
Posted By:
Posted By:jojocandy on: 10/30/2009 6:45:21 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Need Feedback
jojocandy

Need Feedback
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 6:45:21 PM
I am a master sylist/colorist for AVEDA. I love AVEDA, I trained at Carsten Institute in AZ. My salon was recently purcharsed by someone who has had no expeirence in the biz. They moved us from our great local by beach to a medical complex off the beaten path. My pay has gone down by almost 500-600 dollars a pay period. They have a really terrible micro managing self absorbed know it all, but have never done anything in the idustry Manager. She has managed to personally run off a client by yelling at us in the salon because she wanted to go home. Owner felt bad but said we all make mistakes. I feel confused, do I stay or go. I don't believe in other lines the way I do about AVEDA. It could be managable if it was run betterr. Help me please.......

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 9:06:20 PM
it can't be the only salon in the area that has aveda,right?

russnyc
Platinum Member

Jojocandy
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 10:35:58 AM
First of all, believe in yourself before you believe in a product line. It doesn't matter WHAT'S in the tube or bottle if there is no sincerity behind the service such as your new boss showed.

Secondly, you had a choice to stay or go when they relocated the salon, I've seen many people raze a business trying to run it like a laundromat, convenience store, or a personal piggy bank.

It doesn't work because there are reasons such as convenience, hospitality and teamwork that have nothing to do with profit or money.

If you are ringing a significant amount of money every week, and have all your client data, PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN and be prepared to pack up.

Loving yourself, striving for excellence in your craft, and knowing when a salon PARTNERSHIP isn't working for you anymore are some of the most powerful career lessons no product line can teach you.

Because it took BOTH you and your salon to where you are now, you've have that choice every day you go to work.

Good Luck!
Russ H.
Colorist at the Roy Teeluck Salon
57th & Madison Avenue, Manhattan NYC

"There are no ugly women, only lazy ones."
-Helena Rubenstein

sandraravens

not the same salon
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 8:06:14 PM

I agree with Russ.  I also believe by what you said in your post that this is a completly different salon than it was when you became a stylist there.

You have to be on board with the direction and the culture that is being established by this new owner and if you are not then it is time to go. If you are unhappy it will eventually start showing in your work and your clients will notice.

I understand where you are coming from with your loyalty to Aveda, I feel the same way. Like the other post said it cant be the only Aveda salon in your area.

You have to be aware that even though you are aligned with Aveda does not mean that every Aveda salon will be a good fit for you. So if you decide to take this step and leave make sure you find a good fit so you can stay for awhile.