Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > what is the diffence in flat iron result
Posted By:
Posted By:chadfromnc_2000 on: 11/3/2009 8:16:45 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: what is the diffence in flat iron result
chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

what is the diffence in flat iron result
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 8:16:45 PM

Hello.

I have a question about using a flat iron.  I have been using a flat iron that cost around 20 dollars. and the salon i work at are having chi flat irons on sale but they are costly...I was wondering if the chi would give a different result then the cheap one i use, or if it will be the same result as long as i use all the theromal protection products on the hair. i just dont know if i should invest that much money on a iron if it will give me the same result with the cheap one.

Thanks,

Chad 

bellababy

cheap or CHEAP?
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 8:47:03 PM
Hey . it depends why the iron is cheap.  is it a good iron that you got a great deal on, or is it a drugstore $20 all the time iron??  if it is ceramic or tourmaline (solid plates) and keeps an even high heat of atleast 400F, you should be good to go.  Cheap irons a lot of times have metal plates that heat unevenly, or metal with ceramic coating - again heats uneven.  these might cause you to go over and over the same hair, causing unneccessary damage and burning.  I find one swipe with a good hot iron is always best.  I use a CHI at home, i have had it over 5 years, its awesome. in the salon i use a Hairart H3000 - amazing i have had it about 2 years now - heres hoping it lasts as long as the CHI.  Anyway - regardless of heat protectant - go with the better iron. Also - how can you suggest great proffesional styling tools to your clients if you are using a cheapie??  good luck!!

chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

Thanks Bellababy I have just
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 7:20:10 AM

Thanks Bellababy,

I have just started flat ironing my own hair and the cheapie iron im using is suppose to have ceremic plates. I guess it heats up evenly (what is the best way to tell if it does?) also i try not to go over the same section of hair more then twice with this iron. I guess it does the trick. I just keep hearing about how good chi products are so  I was just curious about their flat irons :-D

jadekitty
Bronze Member

Solid Plates
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 5:27:16 PM
The biggest difference between the cheapies and the CHI's are that the cheap irons tend to have ceramic coated plates, where the CHI plates are solid ceramic all the way through. As the cheaper irons get used more, the ceramic coating will start to scrape off, exposing the metal underneath.
Personally, I'm a CHI girl - have been for 8 years. I've tried the others, the ghd, the FHI, all the ones that are supposed to be comparable, but I always come back to my CHI. I look at it the same way I look at shears - you get what you pay for.
I know in Canada you can write off your tools on your taxes, but not sure about the US. It might be worth looking into.
"Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you're up to."

jadekitty
Bronze Member

Solid Plates
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 5:27:55 PM
Oops, added it twice.

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 5:42:34 PM
also chi has great customer service. i have had mine for years, and the cord shorted out, so i sent it back, and they gave me a new one free, no questions asked. nice!