Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > I think It's Time!!
Posted By:
Posted By:georgesmom on: 11/10/2009 9:35:59 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: I think It's Time!!
georgesmom

I think It's Time!!
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:35:59 AM

I work in an independently owned large walk in salon in a small town. I have been there for 9 years. There are 10 operatos.  About 2 years ago my boss hired her son, who is also a stylist. The kid is arrogant as hell. He acts as if he owns the salon, and has broken every rule ever established in the salon. Nothing gets said about it, but the air in the salon is so thick you can cut the tension with a knife. I am seeing my fellow employees stress out every day, and worse than that, I myself am saying things i don't want to say( to my fellow employees about him and the salon, sort of venting if you will). I am feeling and acting in ways that really aren't in my typical behavior. I hate gossip, I hate backstabbing and I hate that I AM FALLING INTO THE DARK HOLE OF TALKING BEHIND BACKS AND SHOP GOSSIP!! I know better and it's not becoming of anyone to practice this behavior. Therefore I am in the planning of my own salon at my house. I am very excited, and extremely nervous. I know that I will lose clients, but I feel confident that I will pick up new ones. I am not living up to my potential in this salon. There are many things I would do different. Adding a more personal, classy atmosphere would be one big step. I want to offer those traits, and many others to my own salon. Has anyone reading this post been there done that? Can anyone offer any helpful advice? I am all ears and open to all suggestions for success, Thanks, Jen (sorry for the length)

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:55:05 AM

definitely been there, haven't done that as far as opening my own salon.i have a nemesis at my salon right now,and it does bring out the worst in you.sometimes it's hard to take the high road.i'm trying to wait this one out, but it's difficult.

as long as you have zoning in your neighborhood for a business,and you have the proper specs to get the place licensed for use as a salon,why not go for it? the cost is minimal,since you already pay for a mortgage there.just make sure it's all legal before you open up inspection-wise.the fines are steep!good luck!

georgesmom

thanks pixanne
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:28:20 AM
for the reply. Ya know, sometimes it just helps to vent to someone who knows where you are coming from. The home salon is actually something that I've wanted for 20 years! Everytime I even got remotely close to my goal, my life took a dump on me! Not this time, My support people couldn't be better. I saved my divorce settlement money for the purpose of bettering my life. I can and will do this. I am soooo there! Thanks again....BTW good luck with whatever it is your dealing with hang in there girl and don't let them take you down, stay true to your values

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:36:01 PM
that's great, more power to you!