Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > a Got fired from chain for doing the right thing
Posted By:
Posted By:DanielJstyle on: 11/23/2009 3:12:31 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: a Got fired from chain for doing the right thing
DanielJstyle

Got fired from chain for doing the right thing
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 3:12:31 PM
Nine months ago I moved to Houston and started working for a major chain salon A MAJOR one meaning you probably know which one I was quickly promoted and then asked to manage a store. I was there for two weeks and was fired for telling the girls respectfully too follow state law and be sanitary. the girls had absolutely no respect for me and neither did my superiors. she actually said "your right but you need to pack your things and leave" I was also told that if the position didnt work out I would have my job available to me at the previous store and today I was told that the position was filled !!!! hours later I found a fantastic opportunity !!! To all you talented stylist who work for these chains consider the damage you do to yourself and other stylists and get out spread your wings !!! Let the dirty untalented stylist drown these corporations and go charge what your worth !!

gotnailed

Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:04:31 AM

Im so sorry to hear that this happened to you.  I know some salons (and independent renters) break there backs to make sure they keep up with state guidelines.  We owe it to our clients to keep them safe from infections and illnesses that get passed around while they are in our chairs. I have a few questions for you and a little advice.

Did you say you worked at this salon for 9 months? Have you contacted your old salon and explain your situation?  I dont think someone would offer your position back if they didnt mean it.  Dont worry about the new hire.  Dont know till you ask! 

On the other hand.....You need to contact your state board about this other salon ASAP.  Whatever is going on there the state and definetly the public need to know about that.  Especially with this new flu going around.

You cant let that salon get away with what they did or what they are NOT doing.  Best of Luck!!

XOXO~Meg

DanielJstyle

your right
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:55:52 AM
First off let me revise I was told by the supervisor that if things didnt work out as manager of one store that I would still have my position at the other location (both stores are the same company which is part of the "major corporation") When I called after being dismissed as the manager he (the same supervisor) told me the position was filled further more he said why would I want you here when you told me you could take your clients down the road and get paid more ... which I never really said I would do I just was trying to get him to understand how unfairly I was being paid as I had been promoted there to master stylist and wanted him to fix so this was all retaliation and I cant get a single lawyer to take this case because they are all afraid to go after this corporation with a non class action

As for calling state board you are absolutely right I was afraid to do this at first as it seemed vindictive however now that I am not as angry I still see that its just the right thing to do and maybe someone there can help me !!

Humberto
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:16:43 AM
Sorry to hear about your situation, however there are times that we just have to lick our wounds and go on. I understand that you feel hurt and frustrated, but a legal battle will be mentally draining and you will need to miss many days of work due to depositions and attorney meetings and your chances of success are very slim.

You wrote that you found a fantastic opportunity, let your old job be a learning experience and focus on your new career. The best revenge is for you to become successful.

DanielJstyle

Good Point
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:35:15 AM
I hope I get many more opinions on this thread. Im hoping some have had a situation that was like mine where they did stick to there guns and won their case. I may just let this go but its so unfair!!

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:48:36 PM
i agree with humberto, just chalk it up to experience and move on.if you look more deeply at the situation, you may find that you had some part in the way things ended.i fail to see what kind of case you are talking about.verbal agreements don't carry any weight.at any rate, it wasn't a match, and as you stated, you found something fabulous, so put your energy into that.good luck!

Snoop

Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:50:53 PM
DanielJstyle- don't cast your pearls before swine, as the saying goes.
I think I know exactly what corporation you mean, and if it's the corporation I think, yes I have dealt with them, and no you can not reason with them. Not only do they own the salon you were part of but they also own several other salons that you may not have known about. I spent several years chasing my tail essentially, and even tried to get hired at another salon (under the same umbrella) my old cosmetology teacher recommended me ( who is very well respected in my area) and when I went to that salon, the manager of it was finally kind enough to tell me the truth, once you are fired or quit this chain they can not hire you again for at least a period of time. You should have when you started having problems with these girls transferred back to your old salon, but they don't tell you that of course (and dollars to doughnuts that's what your old manager meant by having a position held for you.)
When you came back he probably felt as bad as you did but did not have the chutspah to tell you the truth.
I have several horror stories I could tell you, but I just want to say I'm glad you are with a salon now that will take care of you, and if you ever hire stylists take this as 101 in how not to treat employees.

DanielJstyle

darn straight snoop
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:17:13 PM
every day that passes I am filled with more and more resentment toward this chain and I feel as if they have really given me such a raw deal that I just cant sit by and not do something for the next poor sap who just wants to do something good does anyone know a good lawer in houston ??

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:28:23 PM
look, they've got more resources and better lawyers than you, and somewhere in the fine print is a disclaimer protecting them, trust me. just keep walkin'.live and learn.think about what you are thankful for and let go of the bad stuff.

DanielJstyle

I wonder
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:27:27 PM
Pixanne what exactly is your position at the corporation that Im talking about? they may have fine print better laywers but then there is the fact that I was unduly and wrongly removed from my position and a verbal contract was broken... Its not negative energy at this point its getting what I deserve and making things better for the next person and protecting my clients that might stay at that salon

DanielJstyle

Also
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:34:34 PM
It is very presumptuous of you to think I had anything to do with the way things ended I know their are two sides to every story but Im a level headed guy and what Im saying is very true. I wont disagree that perhaps I dont have great management skills, but I wasnt treating the employees poorly either if im not capable of earning there respect it should have been backed by my supervisors until I learned better skills... and certainly if they didnt feel as if this was something I could learn I should have been demoted not left out in the cold with the possibility of no income.

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:13:42 PM
i don't work for a corporation,i learned my lessons with that many years ago.i'm just trying to give you advice from experience,to let it go and move on and try to learn something positive from it about how not to let it happen in the future.i'm not presuming anything about you by the way.

DanielJstyle

Ack
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:52:37 PM
sorry I guess I was the one presuming but really I was just trying to make a point I am facing serious financial struggle right now and it doesn't seem right since I was so successful at that store and one of the top earners