Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Frustrated.
Posted By:
Posted By:XoTomm on: 12/17/2009 8:25:26 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Frustrated.
XoTomm

Frustrated.
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:25:26 PM

Hi everyone!

My name is Tom, and I have been a manicurist for 5 years until recently when I graduated and passed my boards for my cosmetology lisence. I am currently working, I was hired as a hairstylist, but I haven't done anything regarding HAIR!!! I've gotten nails since the day I walked in!! I don't know what to do right now! I did an employee's hair cut the other day, and I felt frightened and scared! When I was in school, I felt very confident in my skills. Now, I'm really unsure what to do. Should I work for a chain and polish up, or stay at my current place? I've talked to several people who used to work at this place and they've told me that they went almost a year and half without EVER doing hair and then they quit. When I came for my interview she promised alot more than she has offered (such as weekly education) I've had only one class (about make up brushes) since I've started. I bought the subject to her attention, and she said I was hired as a manicurist and an assistant, but she won't even let me blowdry!

mittens24

Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 3:02:24 AM
I think you should check out some other salons, and maybe have another conversaton with your boss, it sounds like they don't care if you improve your cutting because they can just give you nail clients. I assisted for 6 months at a large salon after beautyschool, and quit because I wasn't learning anything, it was just like beauty school in their so called best training program in town... all I did was shampoo, work on mannequins in the backroom, and do one or two color applications a day... I went to a smaller salon and got great training, and went to classes all the time, plus the stylists were more experienced and helpful. 

XoTomm

Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 7:47:08 AM

Thanks Mittins for replying.

See, the thing is she's not one of those boss you can really confinde in. She're very intimidating, and it took alot of gusto to even talk to her. One of the employees (a massage therapist) who has work since open said that she likes to box people in. If I wasn't a manicurist before I probably end up as a receptionist... =( I totally would have fallen into your position, I think I might start looking at different places.