Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > How to do deal with Non-English speaking Clients....
Posted By:
Posted By:hairdreamer on: 1/10/2010 7:07:57 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: How to do deal with Non-English speaking Clients....
hairdreamer

How to do deal with Non-English speaking Clients....
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 7:07:57 PM

We live in a rural farm town & I am a booth renter. We have many hispanic people in our town and while alot of them speak English there are also alot that stuggle with the english language and a few that totally don't speak any or understand it. 90% of the time when I have a client struggling with telling me what they want, I go to the styling books and it always works out no matter if it's color or cut we seem to find our right page to be on. One of my clients (that sturggle with the english language) mangaged to communicate with the receptionist that she want a perm. I did the best I could with her consultation on what she was wanting and the size curl. I used purple & white rods. I rolled in small sections so I could make sure the solution penetrate to the hair end. I timed & neutralizer her correctly. I used a alkaline perm. I wasn't impressed with her curl when I removed it. The ends (about 4 inches) were so dry & brittle & almost straight while at the scalp (scalp to about 4 inches out) there seemed to have been alot of curl.  Needless to say she came in the shop about 24 hours after the perm & told my co-worker she was upset & wanted her money back (I have no idea how my co-worker got this information from her since she cannot speak any spanish), anyway my co-worker told her to come back the next working day that I be there which is tomorrow. I really hate that the perm didn't work out for her. She was such a nice lady.

My thoughts on how to handle the situation was to give her money back & try to somehow communicate with her of a free service of her choice to try to make up for the problem. Has anyone else been in this type of situation before. Just by what I said, does any know maybe what with wrong with the perm process: Does anyone have any other advice on how to treat this problem?

I appreciate all the advice.