Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Frustrated New Stylist
Posted By:
Posted By:azstylistaprile on: 1/15/2010 12:02:18 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Frustrated New Stylist
azstylistaprile

Frustrated New Stylist
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 12:02:19 AM
Im fairly New in the Salon world I recieved my License In OCT 08  I think I am pretty good at color and cutting hair I started out at Fantastic Sams and that was a horrible experience with a screaming stylist next to me who threw fits if someone said something wrong to him the Owner was not a stylist at all knew nothing about the salon industry. The manager was plain rude and mean all the time. The owner sold the business after two months of me working there then  I got a job at Beauty Express which was the biggest mistake ever  I was the only stylist under a manager who was not even close to being a stylist  she critized my work everyday stood behind me asking my clients if they liked my work  she would tell me in the middle of a haircut or color im doing it wrong. After a Client left my chair and went to pay she took over then and would say to them if you dont like it the stylist who been here 7 yrs will fix it on saturdays when she is here. Just really gave me a bad expereince I havent been back in a salon since Sept and I really love doing hair my selfesteem was really shot down I am so willing to learn more to be better but I cant find a salon who is willing to teach I dont want to work for a Chain salon anymore WHAT CAN I DO...I'm so flustered I need to work but I am so afraid to go back..

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 5:43:02 AM
keep looking until you find what you are looking for, and in the meantime if you can afford it, take some continuing ed.only you can make your career happen, and if you're not happy in an environment, move on and keep going.

Smiley

Still there?
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 7:32:52 AM
You worked hard to obtain that license didn't you? To make it in this industry 2 things are vital: You need to love people and you have to be tough. You sound like a hard worker and that you love the profession. It seems a shame to quit so fast. I was licensed in 1986 and own a 4 station salon in a small town. Yesterday I was given the best compliment of my career by a client. She was processing and watching the salon activity and said"Everyone leaves here feeling better than they did when they came in." This is about alot more than doing hair. Its a great job. There is a saying that goes "Find a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." I wish you well.