Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Again and Again and Again
Posted By:
Posted By:DanielJstyle on: 2/23/2010 11:40:46 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Again and Again and Again
DanielJstyle

Again and Again and Again
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:40:46 AM
WTF? I have been a stylist for eight years and every time I start doing well or getting ahead the stylists around me become savages. Immature territorial beasts from some far off place!! I dont have the start up to own my own business or the client base to rent miraculously every time I build up clients the client data sheets are "missing" it gets so bad that I am forced to leave the salon because management or the owners always choose the side of the stylists that have been there longer. I am laid back and friendly and im not going to change these positive attributes and play there game but I just do not know what to do ... my work history is abysmal my self esteem goes further down the drain every time I loose a job but then I look at my work as well as my work ethic and I think WTF how does this keep happening why am I always the one singled out and how come Ive never overcome this ?

gd
Gold Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:55:38 PM
I believe that is a question only you can answer. Sometimes we have to take a hard look at ourselves. We are in a tough, highly competitive business and it isn't always easy. Every stylist has to find a salon that is right for them. I have been a salon owner for twenty five years and try to treat my staff fairly, treat them as professionals and I expect them to act as professionals. I do not believe it is fair to trash the entire industry because of a few bad apples.

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:15:08 PM
maybe your expectations are misplaced, this is a competitive business, and you definitely have to keep all of your client info for yourself, in your own client file. being professional is something that nobody can take away from you, and if people are catty, hopefully you are too busy to care. just concern yourself with being the best you can be, for yourself and your clients and don't worry about what other people think, if it's workin for ya,keep it up. if not, look within.after 30 years in the biz, i've learned to focus on my work, not the salon culture.

DanielJstyle

yes well
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:14:27 PM
Pixanne you always seem to give good advice but what you dont understand is that it is my client cards that are stolen ... I cant walk around with them tied to my hip now can I ... I want to stay a positive person but I see all these awful people doing so well and I think ... if you cant beat em ... GD did you even read my post ??

Humberto
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:58:37 PM
If you feel you want to need to keep the client data, use your phone or small palm pilot.

However our salon fires anyone keeping client data, it's considered theft of company property.

The requirements to enter our industry are very low and this results in lots of underachievers targeting our industry, but the fact that so many stylists are unreliable and irresponsible allows those that are professional to stand out.

You will need to get along with your coworkers, you don't have to party with them but do get along at work. It is a two way street.

DanielJstyle

as if
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:20:00 PM
Well I have little faith that Im not getting responses from the exact type of person I am describing. Yes getting along with your coworkers is a two way street and Im even willing to go further then half way to meet up so to speak but the problem is that I end up at a dead end and my coworkers are all down the block setting me up for failure.. Ok enough of beating a tired cliche to death... the point is that I have been through the ringer and its wearing on me I refuse to act like these people act and being that I pose a threat to them they do awful things to me the next salon I work at had better be free of this attitude because I live in a LARGE city and there is enough to go around If I am harassed by coworkers and MY client info goes missing then I will take legal action .. It is a shame that your salon doesnt hire people capable enough to keep your business afloat and you feel the need to resort to keeping your stylist from being able to keep clients info. after all your salon didnt make that person look great and feel good ... the stylist did. you are obviously one of those backstabbers who came across enough money to own a salon and... your still a backstabber how dare you disrespect your stylists like that !

Humberto
Bronze Member

We are trying to be helpful
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:32:53 PM
Danielj, the responses you are receiving are all from people who have been in the industry for years and have some sort of success.

You will find each salon has it's own rules and regs. The reason our salon owns the client data is because the salon does the initial marketing, advertising, and image to attract the client. then we provide assistants to our stylists, so that frees the stylist to only consult, cut and foil, they usually don't have to shampoo or blow dry. This allows our stylist to see 20-30 clients a day and make a six figure income.
We also pay for almost all training, our stylists have trained in Spain, London, Paris, Germany, and at academies all over the US and the salon pays for ALL of it from airfare to hotel to the price of the class (5 day seminar at Sassoon in London is $1500- $2500). Our stylist act like professionals and like in every other profession client data is property of the business and they are expected to honor this rule.

As for me I started hair school in my 30's while raising 5 kids and working 3 jobs. After hair school I worked 7 days a week usually 12-14 hours and did $5 haircuts and $20 color to get experience. I moved to a mid level salon and became the top stylist within a few months. After a few years I left to work at a high end salon and also was top producer within a few months. 12 years ago we opened our own salon and we have been selected by Salon Today Mag as one of the top 200 salons in North America 5 years in a row. I've done education for Wella, Kms, Paul Brown, and Goldwell. It's been a great ride and I've loved every moment, but I've worked very hard to get where I am. Also I'm very proud of how well our stylist are paid and the world wide experiences they now have. We have a 25 year old stylist who produced over $250,000 for our salon and she earns over $100,000. We have a girl who only has a GED but earns close to $80,000 (more than most people with degrees). One of our top stylists was a cashier for Walmart before working for us, she now makes 10 times her Walmart wages. Parked in front of the salon have been Bmw's, Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari, Mercedes that are owned by the staff not the clients. Material possessions are great but most importantly is how we are seen by our peers, family, and community.

I am rambling but the summation is that we are trying to give you advice, it's up to you whether you want to follow it.

DanielJstyle

My Apologies
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 1:04:28 AM
Well thank you for that long and helpful dose of humility I really needed it. The trouble is that that your advice isnt targeting the problem. I too have worked the twelve hour days I too have charged less then my worth in an effort to gain clients (gained them and then had to leave my job or worse been fired)... Im grateful for you and your success but it is success that I too want! I cant help but feeling that Im doing everything right and still I end up on the bottom. I dont understand why just a few months ago I was one of the top earners for my store in a corporate salon and yet I was still tossed out! The advice your giving me is moot... Of course you have to get along with your coworkers but what if they refuse to get along with you ? Of course you have to do good work but what if your work is beautiful and your coworkers continue to undermine it. Of course you should always be willing to grow and learn but what if your coworkers talk to you in front of clients like you dont know what your doing, when you do? Of course you should be able to retain clients and be a top earner but what if you are and the person in charge of you gives you the axe because they see you as a threat to the position they hold? whats the advice when your doing what you should and the people around you wont let you succeed ?

bellababy

Could it be your attitude??
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 3:41:18 PM
Daniel - just a though, but could it be something other than a giant conspiracy to ruin your career??  I find it odd that salon after salon that you work in "steals your clients" and that you got fired from a corporate salon because the manager thought you would "take her position".  LOOK - 8 years is a good start, but there are many stylists who have been at it 2 or 3 times as long, and really, with 8 years in and the attitude you are giving off in this thread, it is no wonder to me that you have trouble with other stylists / bosses.  Maybe you should check yourself a little, cause you are coming across as a brat and someone who thinks they're the best in show. Maybe your coworkers get this vibe too??   just and opinion.

DanielJstyle

Re bellababy
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 4:06:10 PM
The "vibe" your saying I have is a direct result of my anger not my typical attitude and "best in show" hardly Ive always complimented my co stylists on their skills asked them to show me how when they are doing something I like, or are doing something better. I sweep for them and clean up after them and make no need for a thank you but they continue to disrespect me! My last post even admitted that I was mistaken for assuming about the previous .. and I thanked everyone that gave good advice but im still missing something and its not my attitude!!