Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Taking the next step :)
Posted By:
Posted By:NickiM on: 3/4/2010 12:02:49 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Taking the next step :)
NickiM

Taking the next step :)
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 12:02:49 PM
Hey everybody. I'm a new stylist, I've been in the business about a year now. I still work a full time office job just to pay the bills but i also work at a salon on weekends. It sucks because hair is my passion but the money is just not there especially working 2 nights only. Lately I've just been getting frustrated with it i know i could be successful if i had more time to put in it. So lately, I've been thinking of quitting the other job and just putting focus on hair. I'm grateful enough to have a way of getting money to help with bills while doing this, although i had planned not to touch this money until i'm 25 (in 2 years) i think its the best. The salon i'm at doesn't offer very many classes so i wanna finally go head and do it on my own and really take this year and focus on what i love to do, which is NOT sitting in an office all day long. I have a feeling this will pay off in the long run. I guess i'm writing this for any positive or negative feedback or any suggestions. Also if anybody knows any great programs for furthering education for a new stylists like me. Thanks!!

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 7:37:58 PM
hey nicki, definitely take some classes or workshops in your free time, check with your local distrubutor for classes in your area.they are usually more intimate and hands- on, so you get alot more out of it.maybe you could start part timing both jobs and ease your way into full time at the salon. rhe only way to be successful is to be available to clients, so eventually you'll need to make the jump. if you are in a good salon, and there is a good flow of clients you can work on,go for it.do it while you are young!

NickiM

Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 7:50:26 AM
thanks. i looked online and i found a TON of classes some that are cheaper because they are just demos but i think anything will help. unfortunately my boss at the office wont allow me to be part time...and the salon I'm at has a lot of opportunity for me to grow if i was available more. thanks so much for your input! :)