Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > *Am I terrible?*
Posted By:
Posted By:galactigirl on: 3/25/2010 1:48:31 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: *Am I terrible?*
galactigirl

*Am I terrible?*
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:48:31 PM
I am not a stylist that encourages people to change. Not really. I do what makes me comfortable. I don't tell people to "go for it" because I don't want to be responsible for what they may see as a huge mistake. I am perfectly happy doing the same thing every time and maybe mixing it up here and there. I know it's my job to be innovative and creative and suggest things, but that's just not me.  I had a client that wanted to go short with a specific style. When i was sure it was what she wanted, i gave it to her. There was a moment in the cut where she stopped being excited and chatty and started being quietr. I feel like I may have cut it too short, but she didn't complain and said she liked it. I'm so self-conscious. When I think someone isn't happy, it bothers me for days. This is why I'm afraid to change people. Because I do stuff like that. When someone wants something and I'm not sure if it will look great, I should say so and suggest something different. But part of me just thinks... 'you asked for it.' Am i terrible?

blondebarber

Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 4:52:11 PM
Hi Galactigirl,
You're not terrible. Perhaps your consultation could use some tuning.
1.Repeat back to them what they have asked for.
2.Visibly show them where you interpret the length that they want.
3.Know your style books. If you think they are asking for something you have a picture of, show it to them.
4.If you really don't understand what they want. Just say so and don't start til you do.

Sometimes you've done what they ask and they realize that it wasn't their best choice. That isn't your fault, don't lose sleep over it.

stef1234

Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 9:38:27 PM
Don't worry as you become more experienced your work, and consulting with your clients will change dramatically! I defiantly recommend watching your coworkers do haircuts and how they speak and consult with there clients. I found watching and learning from them helped me huge!! Even sometimes too I'll call over a coworker and just ask there opinion cuz having that 2nd opinion helps as well. If you really have a interest in being a hairdresser you will help yourself grow by taking interest in learning new cuts and color formulas by watching your coworkers (best place to learn everything!!)
I had the same feelings when I first got out of hair school and got going with my apprenticeship. A huge part of my insecurities was from my work environment. My boss and coworkers were constantly making me feel like I was not good enough and would make me feel stupid. Constantly watching every hair cut I did and color and criticizing all my work. As soon as I left and went and worked for my friend it was a huge difference. Its AWESOME feeling when your coworkers and your boss support you and your work and constantly reassure me that Iam a Great stylist. So maybe thats the issue is maybe your work environment?