Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > People looking down on Hair Stylists
Posted By:
Posted By:Desiree2484 on: 3/26/2010 5:16:31 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: People looking down on Hair Stylists
Desiree2484

People looking down on Hair Stylists
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 5:16:31 PM
Is it just me or do some people look at hair styling as a bs job? I'm only a student right now but when I tell people what I'm going to school for they look at me like I'm stupid or I just told them I'm working in fast food. I even had one guy tell me "good luck making any money in that!" It's ridiculous. I love what I'm doing and don't think it requires any less intelligence than any other profession. I currently work in an office and make great money but I'm switching careers at age 25, not because of the money I hope to make but because I love doing hair and don't want to work in a boring office the rest of my life. We are not stupid people! We are talented and have great jobs! Just had to vent for a second.

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 8:27:27 AM
some people see hairdressing as a vocation, something that people do when they can't do anything else.we know better. although it is not an academic pursuit, being a successful stylist is very difficult, and takes a lot of talent and people skills, something others lack. especially those who look down on others based on what they do for a living. who needs 'em?

keiferkat
Bronze Member

surround yourself with positive people
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 7:50:04 AM

Surround yourself with positive people. I went to Redken the Quest many years ago and it helped me.  A lot of it is attitude. Don't work at 5 dollar shops. If you can't find a job right away work at a chain with education and soak up all the knowledge you can. When you get experience, at least a year then it will be easier to find a job. Find a salon that you admire.  Go to shows and business classes. You will find inspirational education there. Once you find a salon then stay there. Don't move around a lot.

You will not be able to change some peoples attitude but you can control your own. Dress and act professional. I think the ones who look down on stylists are the el cheapos that don't want to pay for services. Be careful not to do family and friends at home while you are in school because they will never pay for professional services in the salon. This is true 99 per cent of the time. Good Luck.

Desiree2484

Thanks!
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 9:32:34 AM
Thank you guys. I really appreciate the advice!