I am a shop owner of almost 30 years. Thinking back, here are some ideas on how to get a good haircut. Please feel free to add to my list.
23. Don't bring in a drugstore color and ask me to apply it for you. I'll charge you the same price as a color I do in the shop. So you might as well let me use the good stuff.
24. Don't say "I have to get this, it's important" when you cell phone rings while I'm doing your hair. You're really not as important as you want everyone to think you are.
25. I'm not the bank. You can't write a check for $40 more than the service and expect me to give you the cash back because you don't have time to go to the bank or ATM. (don't even go there with a credit card). On the same note, don't give me a $100 bill to pay for an $8 wax.
26. Tipping is customary in this business. It is a big part of our income. We remember who tips and who does not. Unfortunately over the years we find the people who can least afford it are the best tippers. The braggers are the worst.
27. It is not up to us to discipline your child. Don't say "That man is going to yell at you if you don't behave". Usually I'm just going to ask you to LEAVE until you can control your child. And yes, that might be in the middle of your service.
28. Please don't bring your lunch in with you and expect to eat it while I'm doing you.
29. If you're sitting in the waiting room, please be considerate of other persons sitting there with you. Don't be cursing at someone on your cell phone. And above all, when I call for you, don't ask me to wait a minute until you finish your cell phone call.
30. You won't get a discount if you bring in a "treat" for me. Doesn't matter if you bought it while your were having your lunch somewhere or made it yourself at home. I really don't want it, nor do I have a place to store it till later.
31. You can tell me WHAT you want, but please don't tell me HOW to do it. You wouldn't say that to your doctor or dentist, would you? I am the professional. You are not.
32. I don't care if you're in a hurry. You can't comb out wet hair. (see #15 & #31 above).
37. If you are a walk-in and i say I'm sorry, I have appointment booked in ten minutes....Don't start begging like a child saying things like "I just need like, a real quick cut, it wont even take ten minutes" REALLY??? Ok, pleas, have a seat I'd love to give you a shitty cut that you can though go out bitching about!
38. When you call to book an appointment for "just a haircut" and then i go through my book and make you an appointment, do not end the call with, "oh yeah, and i'll probably get a color too"
39. WE HATE THIS QUESTION ::: "How much is it for a trim?"
A : Haircuts are $25
Q : Ok, but not a cut, just a trim..how much is that???
A : UM....Yeah...$25
40. After a major holiday (christmas, thanksgiving, easter.....) Do not feel obliged to ask us "so, how was your ........." We have been asked that 10 times each dat since the holiday, and really - not much to tell.
41. After drinking a xlarge coffee with cream and sugar, and going out for a cigarette while your bleach proccesses, do not tell us that you dont want hairspray because "You dont like any alcohol or chemicals in your hair.
42. When we ask how often you shampoo your hair, don't lie and say everyday.....we are just like the dentist - they know you are lying when you say you always floss! ;)
Yes! I am sooo tired of girls coming in this spring who have been dying their hair black. they call for an appt. for a hilight and then expect a miracle in 2 hours to get them blonde all because they see a celebrity has done it! I wish those celebrities would advertise more that it took 10 hours or weeks and they paid $1000 too!
Don't look at me like I should be happy to give your two year old a haircut when Satan's Child needs a major exorcism.
Become A FREE Member
Already A Member? Log In
Shows & Classes
Shop BTC Store
Order a FREE Catalog
Shop Our Online Catalog
Shop Stylist Gear
Stylist Tees & Sweatshirts
Over 60 Stylist Designs
Shop Salon Marketing
Punch Card Kits
Shop Education Titles
Cutting & Styling
Shop Brands of Education
Toni & Guy
Nail & Skin
Nail & Skin
Nail & Skin
Nail & Skin
Search Salon Jobs
Post a Salon Job
Job Pricing - Only $69