Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > How to get a good haircut
Posted By:
Posted By:shampooboy on: 6/15/2010 6:13:37 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: How to get a good haircut
shampooboy

How to get a good haircut
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:13:38 PM

I am a shop owner of almost 30 years. Thinking back, here are some ideas on how to get a good haircut. Please feel free to add to my list.

shampooboy

Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:18:23 PM

1. Turn off your cell phone. Somehow you survived without one before they were invented.... 30 minutes in my chair won't kill you.

2. Be on time. Arriving 10 minutes early in the parking lot and not walking in the door for another 20 minutes does not constitute being on time.

3. If you don't know what you want, come in early to look at some pictures. Don't ask to look at pictures when we're ready to start.

4. Don't change you mind when we are half way done.

5. I'm really not interested in you sex life.

6. Unless your child is getting a service in my salon, leave him or her at home. We are not babysitters. The stylist who is waiting for her next patron is not a babysitter. Everything they break, YOU are going to pay for.

7. No, you can not hold your baby on your lap while you are getting a service.

8. Don't bring your 7 other kids to stand around and distract your baby while getting it's first haircut.

9. Other patrons may not think your child is cute. They may be there to relax and not want to know how well they do their ABC's or play PowerRangers.

10. All children are cute. Please don't bring in the baby album with 107 pictures of them. I don't have time. This also covers pictures of your dog & pictures of your new motorhome w/pictures of the interior. The little room w/the little toilet doesn't impress me.

11. Be nice to me and I'll be nice to you. Leave your bad day outside.

12. Don't try to impress me by telling me how much money you make. I don't really care. That's my Jag in the parking lot.

13. Don't talk down my profession because you think anyone can do it. Go to SuperDuperFastCuts down the street and you will understand.

14. Don't complain about my prices. (see #13 above).

15. Don't tell me you're in a hurry. You need to plan your time better. We can always make you another appointment.

16. I'm here 50 hours a week. Don't ask me to come in early for you or stay late.

17. My only job is to make you look better. I can't solve all of your personal or medical problems.

18. No, you can't make 3 appointments and show up for the one that best suites you that day.

19. Don't call 3 days after you didn't show for your appointment and laugh about it. Some shops charge for that.

20. We are professionals. We charge for everything we do. You are paying for my time & expertise. Don't expect me to save you money by cutting corners.

shampoo-1@sbcglobal.net

Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:37:25 PM

21. Prices go up. Expenses go up. Rent goes up. Just because you are a long time customer doesn't mean it doesn't apply to you.

22. No, I won't come to your house. Never, never, never. Don't ask.

23. Don't bring in a drugstore color and ask me to apply it for you. I'll charge you the same price as a color I do in the shop. So you might as well let me use the good stuff.

24. Don't say "I have to get this, it's important" when you cell phone rings while I'm doing your hair. You're really not as important as you want everyone to think you are.

25. I'm not the bank. You can't write a check for $40 more than the service and expect me to give you the cash back because you don't have time to go to the bank or ATM. (don't even go there with a credit card). On the same note, don't give me a $100 bill to pay for an $8 wax.

26. Tipping is customary in this business. It is a big part of our income. We remember who tips and who does not. Unfortunately over the years we find the people who can least afford it are the best tippers. The braggers are the worst.

27. It is not up to us to discipline your child. Don't say "That man is going to yell at you if you don't behave". Usually I'm just going to ask you to LEAVE until you can control your child. And yes, that might be in the middle of your service.

28. Please don't bring your lunch in with you and expect to eat it while I'm doing you.

29. If you're sitting in the waiting room, please be considerate of other persons sitting there with you. Don't be cursing at someone on your cell phone. And above all, when I call for you, don't ask me to wait a minute until you finish your cell phone call.

shampoo-1@sbcglobal.net

How to get a good haircut part 3
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:40:08 PM

30. You won't get a discount if you bring in a "treat" for me. Doesn't matter if you bought it while your were having your lunch somewhere or made it yourself at home. I really don't want it, nor do I have a place to store it till later.

31. You can tell me WHAT you want, but please don't tell me HOW to do it. You wouldn't say that to your doctor or dentist, would you? I am the professional. You are not.

32. I don't care if you're in a hurry. You can't comb out wet hair. (see #15 & #31 above).

Humberto
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:53:39 PM
I really like these. You should title them "30 Ways to Get a Good Haircut" (with music from 30 Ways to leave your Lover). Shampooboy you must be an experienced stylist with a good following. Most stylists don't have the guts to implement any of these, but if they did it would make them more professional and respected by their clients. Great advice, thank you.

jadekitty
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:50:00 AM
I have a couple more for you!

33. This is not a flea market or a yard sale. I will not bargain with you on either service prices or retail.

34. If you're concerned about the prices, ask before we start, and don't pitch a hissy at the front desk after we're done. Your kid's cut costs that much because they scream and squirm and I cut myself while doing it. If I could, I'd charge $100 for it.

35. Don't expect us to remove the black drugstore colour out of your hair and not use bleach or colour remover. You're not Lindsay Lohan, and you're not going from black to platinum in 2 hours. And yes, you will be charged more than a standard colour application.

36. I left my magic wand at home today. Miracles happen in heaven, not in my chair.
"Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you're up to."

bellababy

luv these!
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:53:54 PM

37.  If you are a walk-in and i say I'm sorry, I have appointment booked in ten minutes....Don't start begging like a child saying things like "I just need like, a real quick cut, it wont even take ten minutes"  REALLY???  Ok, pleas, have a seat I'd love to give you a shitty cut that you can though go out bitching about!

38.  When you call to book an appointment for "just a haircut" and then i go through my book and make you an appointment, do not end the call with, "oh yeah, and i'll probably get a color too"

39.  WE HATE THIS QUESTION ::: "How much is it for a trim?"

A : Haircuts are $25

Q : Ok, but not a cut, just a trim..how much is that???

A : UM....Yeah...$25

40. After a major holiday (christmas, thanksgiving, easter.....)  Do not feel obliged to ask us "so, how was your ........."  We have been asked that 10 times each dat since the holiday, and really - not much to tell.

41. After drinking a xlarge coffee with cream and sugar, and going out for a cigarette while your bleach proccesses, do not tell us that you dont want hairspray because "You dont like any alcohol or chemicals in your hair.

42. When we ask how often you shampoo your hair, don't lie and say everyday.....we are just like the dentist - they know you are lying when you say you always floss! ;)

anniedooday

Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:23:38 AM

#35.

Yes! I am sooo tired of girls coming in this spring who have been dying their hair black. they call for an appt. for a hilight and then expect a miracle in 2 hours to get them blonde all because they see a celebrity has done it! I wish those celebrities would advertise more that it took 10 hours or weeks and they paid $1000 too!

jadekitty
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:38:16 PM
One more...

43. If you're willing to pay us for a beautiful colour, don't tell us that salon shampoo is too expensive, then pick up something from the drugstore and blame us when the colour gets trashed. Using Pantene or Herbal Essences on that beautiful red colour is the same as putting regular fuel in a Ferrari.

44. When you say that you want a big change, don't follow it with "But I don't want to lose any length."

45. If you want to have long hair, that's fine. But don't hold on to those fried, thin, broken, wispy ends for the sake of your precious length. Long hair only looks nice when it's healthy, so let us give you a "metal treatment" for that last 6 inches or so that's so dead it's never coming back.

shampooboy

Here's another one.
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:00:05 PM

Don't look at me like I should be happy to give your two year old a haircut when Satan's Child needs a major exorcism.

jadekitty
Bronze Member

This is fun!
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:52:40 PM
47. Just because it's your wedding day does not give you the right to be a total bitch. And don't wait until that final coat of hairspray to tell me that you want your ears covered after all.
48. Don't start off your consultation by bashing the last 10 stylists you've seen this year. Maybe the problem isn't the stylists....
49. No matter what she says in the Feria ads, Beyonce is not colouring her hair in her bathroom with something she picked up at the drugstore. It's called a "paid endorsement", and I know more than the lady at the drugstore does about colour. Period.
50. Be honest about the amount of time you're willing to put into styling your hair in the morning when I ask you. If you're not willing to blow-dry in the morning, then the long, smooth waves are not a good idea. Celebrities don't roll out of bed looking that way, and neither will you.

julieann

Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 5:10:38 PM
51.  Please don't bring me a picture of hair five inches longer than yours and ask me for that cut.  I can't "cut it long".