Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > Out of work for the 3rd time in a year... Where am I going wrong!!?
Posted By:
Posted By:goodmanc on: 9/8/2010 5:54:13 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Out of work for the 3rd time in a year... Where am I going wrong!!?
goodmanc

Out of work for the 3rd time in a year... Where am I going wrong!!?
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 5:54:13 PM

Really need help.. I've been hairdressing for about 3 years. I'm good. By no means the best out there but I'm fairly good. I worked for one company for 2 years, trained there and then worked there for a year after until the salon closed down. I then worked at a tiny salon for three months before they asked me to leave because they were so quiet they couldnt cover my wages. I was out of work for abut 6 months before I got my last job. I started about 2 months ago and today was told to pack up my stuff and leave. I'm a good hairdresser not fantastic but in the past I have had a fully booked column of regular clients and did really well. But at this last salon I have had SO MANY complaints!! I have never had so many problems!! Colour, cutting, blowdries, everything! ok I was rusty for the first few weeks but I had really got back into it and my standard of working was actually better than usual because I've had a busy column to get the practice I've needed for so long. They were very strict about complaints and would give me things to work on like working on my consultation etc. I've tried so hard to do well and i've ended up feeling like a rubbish hairdresser. I used to absolutely adore hairdressing. I had loads of clients who came back time and time again, bringing friends with them to have their hair done. Now I feel like I've wasted 3 years of my life. I have no clients, no self-esteem and I don't know what to do...

jadekitty
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 9:31:10 PM
My first question is - did they tell you what to work on, or did they teach you how to work on it? Forgive the example, but you can tell a dog to sit time and time again, but until you show it how to sit, you've just got a mutt looking at you. :)
You're still very new to the industry, and perhaps this salon was not the right fit for you. Try looking for an assisting position, or a salon where you work closely with a mentor. Don't let this get you down - you said yourself that the first salon closed, and the second wasn't busy enough to pay you. So really, this is your first experience where your skills were called into question.
Become a sponge in your next salon - soak up all the information that you can. Read the articles on here, check out some videos on You Tube. Prove them wrong.
I was let go from a very low end salon back in 2001. The manager claimed that I had, and I quote, "absolutely no skill, and should do the industry a favor and go back to working at the Bulk Barn". She had a ton of attitude for someone who was managing an $8 haircut chain. She's still there, still constantly broke, and still miserable. And her comments kept me going - spite is a powerful motivation. Part of my success so far comes from being determined to prove her wrong.
Today, my salon has been in business for 3 years. I am a Master Colourist, as well as specializing in long hair cuts and styling. I've built an amazing team so far, and we're only going up. However, we train our apprentices extensively. Everything from the theory to the practical work. They are matched with a stylist for different practical stages - for example, I know that one of my staff does amazing men's cuts, better than my own. She will train for that portion, and another stylist will train for perming, etc.
Don't let one bad experience break you down. Keep a positive attitude. Skills can be taught, but positive attitudes and a willingness to learn, try, and grow cannot.
"Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you're up to."