Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > A day in the life of.... > I just need help...
Posted By:
Posted By:MbiggsMemTN on: 10/21/2010 5:45:53 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: I just need help...
MbiggsMemTN

I just need help...
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:45:53 PM
I'm a new stylist. I love what I do and I love the salon I'm in. This is my first salon job and I've only been there about 6 weeks. A friend worked there for a couple of years, but ended up moving out of town. I took over her chair. She gave me a heads up about the owners. I haven't seen it yet, but I've been told they can be very hard to work with from time to time.
Again, I've only been doing this for a few weeks. I think for the most part things are good. I had one client come in, she loved her cut and her highlights, but decided they were a bit too heavy, and came in for some low lights to break up the blonde a bit. Everything was perfect. I had an updo that I blew last week. I just couldn't get her hair to cooperate with me! It was thick, slick, and sqeaky clean. Anyway, one of the owners came and took over. We talked about it and it seemed alright. I had another highlight yesterday. She was so unhappy, I could tell. Her hair was fried from the start and she seemed disappointed that I wasn't comfortable pulling bleach all the way to the ends...she had a bit of gold in some spots. I did tone it with a violet to try to cut the gold when I was done. Also there was a bleed mark on top. I pointed it out to her, but she said that she wasn't worried about it at all because her part would cover it up. I could tell she wasn't happy, and even asked her point blank. She said she loved it. 10 minutes after she left her mom called saying she wanted it redone, but didn't want to come back to me.
Today, I had a little boy scheduled for a cut. I do his dads hair and I've talked with him quite a bit. This boys brother is ini St. Jude with Leukemia, and just had a bone marrow transplant.I told the owners this morning that I was concerned about doing his hair because, although I don't think I'm contagious, I had a fever last night and this morning. The ONLY reason I mentioned this to them was because of his brothers situation...a "little fever" could be a HUGE thing to this family. They seemed very irritated and sent me home because I was sick. I went to the Dr. and have a note. But I can't shake this feeling that I really screwed up by mentioning this to them.
I've had clients that have rebooked with me. I've brought my own people into the salon. 99.9% of the time I think things are going well, but that other .01% I feel like I'm just not cut out for this. Is it normal? I constantly watch videos and read articles. I've been playing on my "manikin" from school. I just feel like they expect me to know everything straight away, and I don't. How do you get to the point where you're comfortable? I'm beating myself up over things that I can't change, it's making me CRAZY!

julieann

Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 12:32:35 PM
It takes a long time to develop confidence.  I remember having days like that and it doesn't mean that you're not cut out for this.  You care and you are trying hard.  As far as the owners are concerned try not to get too worried.  You don't say how old you are but sometimes young new stylists are surprised when they find out that older men and women in the business don't treat them gently like their parents.  Don't tell them anything that they don't need to know, they probably aren't interested anyway.  As regards your clients...have the confidence to talk to them with authority.  Afterall you are the authority.  If someone comes in with trashed hair don't be afraid to tell them that their hair is compromised and explain the results of color on that type of hair.  Never ever let someone leave your chair with a foil bleed.  They are easy to fix and fixing mistakes is part of what we have to learn to do-at least in the beginning.  Best wishes to you.  You will look back on these days and be glad you stuck with it.